Membership Testing: Removing Extra Stacks from Multi-stack Pushdown Automata
We show that fixed membership testing for many interesting subclasses of multi-pushdown machines is no harder than for pushdowns with single stack. The models we consider are MVPA, OVPA and MPDA, which have all been defined and studied in the past.
Multi-stack pushdown automata, MPDA, have ordered stacks with pop access restricted to the stack-top of the first non-empty stack. The membership for MPDAs is known to be in NSPACE(n) and in P. We show that the P-time algorithm can be implemented in the complexity class LogCFL; thus membership for MPDAs is LogCFL-complete.
It follows that membership testing for ordered visibly pushdown automata OVPA is also in LogCFL.
The membership problem for multi-stack visibly pushdown automata, MVPA, is known to be NP-complete. However, many applications focus on MVPA with O(1) phases. We show that for MVPA with O(1) phases, membership reduces to that in MPDAs, and so is in LogCFL.
KeywordsTable Entry Input String Proof Tree Membership Problem Sentential Form
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Alur, R., Madhusudan, P.: Visibly pushdown languages. In: 36th ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (STOC 2004), pp. 202–211 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Mehlhorn, K.: Pebbling mountain ranges and its application to DCFL recognition. In: 7th International Colloquium on Automata, Languages and Programming, pp. 422–432 (1980)Google Scholar
- 9.La Torre, S., Madhusudan, P., Parlato, G.: A robust class of context-sensitive languages. In: 22nd Symposium on Logic in Computer Science, pp. 161–170 (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Cherubini, A., Pietro, P.S.: A polynomial-time parsing algorithm for a class of non-deterministic two-stack automata. In: 4th Italian Conference on Theoretical Computer Science, pp. 150–164 (1992)Google Scholar
- 17.Pietro, P.S.: Two-stack automata. Rapporto Interno n. 92-073, Dipartimento Di Elettronica e Informazione, Politecnico di Milano, Milano (October 1992), http://home.dei.polimi.it/sanpietr/pubs/twostack92.ZIP