Data Gathering in Optical Networks with the TL1 Toolkit
This paper describes a new tool for gathering (performance) data from optical network devices. During the last few years many National Research and Education Networks (NRENs) have deployed hybrid networks. These hybrid networks consist of a traditional routed IP part and an innovative optical part. On the optical part lightpath services are offered. These lightpaths are high speed (up to 10 Gbps) circuits with a deterministic quality of service. Not all optical devices used in these networks offer full SNMP support, so the traditional management and monitoring tools cannot be used. Therefore we designed and implemented the TL1 Toolkit which supports management, data gathering and monitoring of optical devices.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.TR-NWT-000835, Telcordia Standard, Issue Number 03 (1993)Google Scholar
- 2.TL1 Toolkit download section, http://nrg.sara.nl/TL1-Toolkit
- 3.van der Pol, R., Toonk, A.: Lightpath Planning and Monitoring. In: eChallenges 2007 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.van der Pol, R., Toonk, A.: Lightpath Planning and Monitoring in SURFnet6 and NetherLight. In: TNC 2007 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.van der Ham, J., Grosso, P., van der Pol, R., Toonk, A., de Laat, C.: Using the Network Description Language in Optical Networks. In: 10th IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management, pp. 199–205 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.GLIF Technical Report: Measuring the use of Lightpath service (2007), http://www.glif.is/working-groups/tech/lightpath-measurement-0.9.pdf