Guaranteed-Performance Multi-robot Routing under Limited Communication Range
A common assumption made in multi-robot research is that robots operate in a fully networked environment, where any two robots can communicate reliably at any time. However, in real-world missions over large geographical areas robots have a limited communication range and signal propagation conditions may be unpredictable due to obstacles or interferences. In such cases, communication limitations must be taken explicitly into account. In this paper, we present a multirobot routing algorithmfor dense environments under limited communication range. We focus on the aspect of careful mission planning in order to guarantee continuous connectivity and mission completeness, while offering a guarantee on performance under a variety of team objectives. The proposed algorithms are demonstrated in a large-scale domain using realistic simulations on the Player/Stage platform.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gerkey, B.P., Vaughan, R.T., Howard, A.: The player/stage project: Tools for multi-robot and distributed sensor systems. In: Int. Conf. on Adv. Robotics, pp. 317–323 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Kalra, N., Ferguson, D., Stentz, A.: A generalized framework for solving tightly-coupled multirobot planning problems. In: Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, p. 3359 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Lagoudakis, M.G., Markakis, E., Kempe, D., Keskinocak, P., Kleywegt, A., Koenig, S., Tovey, C., Meyerson, A., Jain, S.: Auction-based multi-robot routing. In: Robotics: Science and Systems Conf., Cambridge, USA (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Marques, C., Cristoao, J., Lima, P., Frazao, J., Ribeiro, I., Ventura, R.: Raposa: Semi-autonomous robot for rescue operations. In: Int. Conf. on Intell. Robots and Systems, pp. 3988–3993 (2006) doi:10.1109/IROS.2006.281836Google Scholar
- 6.Mosteo, A.R., Montano, L., Lagoudakis, M.G.: Multi-robot routing under limited communication range. In: Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Mostofi, Y.: Communication-aware motion planning in fading environments. In: Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (May 2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Pezeshkian, N., Nguyen, H.G., Burmeister, A.: Unmanned ground vehicle radio relay deployment system for non-line-of-sight operations. In: IASTED Int. Conf. on Robotics and Applications. DARPA/ITO, Germany (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Qin, L., Kunz, T.: On-demand routing in MANETs: The impact of a realistic physical layer model. In: Pierre, S., Barbeau, M., Kranakis, E. (eds.) ADHOC-NOW 2003. LNCS, vol. 2865, pp. 37–48. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Rooker, M.N., Birk, A.: Communicative exploration with robot packs. LNCS (LNAI), pp. 267–278 (2006)Google Scholar