Personalized Service Creation and Provision for the Mobile Web
The convergence of telecom networks and the Internet is fostering the emergence of environments where Web services are available to mobile users. The variability in computing resources, display terminal, and communication channel require intelligent support on personalized delivery of relevant data and services to mobile users. Personalized service provisioning presents several research challenges on context information management, service creation, and inherent limitations of mobile devices. In this chapter, we describe a novel framework that supports weaving context information and services for personalized service creation and execution. By leveraging technologies on Web services, agents, and publish/subscribe systems, our framework enables an effective, user-centric access of integrated services over the mobile Web environments. This chapter overviews the design, architecture, and implementation of the framework.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Vikas Agarwal, Koustuv Dasgupta, Neeran Karnik, Arun Kumar, Ashish Kundu, Sumit Mittal, and Biplav Srivastava. A Service Creation Environment Based on End to End Composition of Web Services. InProc. of the 14th International Conference on World Wide Web (WWW’05), pages 128–137, Chiba, Japan, May 2005.Google Scholar
- 2.Sudhir Ahuja, Nicholas Carriero, and David Gelernter. Linda and Friends.IEEE Computer, 19(8):26–34, August 1986.Google Scholar
- 3.Tony Andrews et.al. Business Process Execution Language for Web Services 1.1.http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ws-bpel.
- 4.Mariano Belaunde and Paolo Falcarin. Realizing an MDA and SOA Marriage for the Development of Mobile Services. InProc. of the 4th European Conference on Model Driven Architecture (ECMDA08), Berlin, Germany, June 2008.Google Scholar
- 7.Djamal Benslimane, Schahram Dustdar, and Amit P. Sheth. Service Mashups.IEEE Internet Computing, 12(5), September/October 2008, to appear.Google Scholar
- 8.Alessio Bosca, Giuseppe Valetto, Roberta Maglione, and Fulvio Corno. Specifying Web Service Compositions on the Basis of Natural Language Requests. InProc. of the 3rd International Conference on Service Oriented Computing, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, December 2005.Google Scholar
- 9.Gonzalo Camarillo and Miguel-Angel García-Martín.The 3G IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS): Merging the Internet and the Cellular Worlds. 2nd Edition, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., New York, 2006.Google Scholar
- 12.Dipanjan Chakraborty and Hui Lei. Extending the Reach of Business Processes.IEEE Computer, 37(4):78–80, April 2004.Google Scholar
- 13.James Clark and Steve DeRose. XML Path Language (XPATH) Version 1.0.http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath, November 1999.
- 14.Kurt Englmeier, Javier Pereira, and Josiane Mothe. Choreography of Web Services Based on Natural Language Storybooks. InProc. of the 8th International Conference on Electronic Commerce (ICEC’06), Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada, August 2006.Google Scholar
- 19.Richard Hull, Bharat Kumar, and Daniel Lieuwen. Towards Federated Policy Management. InProc. of the 4th International Workshop on Policies for Distributed Systems and Networks (POLICY’03), Lake Como, Italy, June 2003.Google Scholar
- 20.San-Yih Hwang and Ya-Fan Chen. Personal Workflows: Modeling and Management. InProc. of the 4th International Conference on Mobile Data Management (MDM’03), Melbourne, Australia, January 2003.Google Scholar
- 22.Graham Klyne et al. Composite Capability/Preference Profiles (CC/PP): Structure and Vocabularies 1.0.http://www.w3.org/TR/CCPP-struct-vocab, visited on 24 June 2008.
- 23.Patricia Lago. A Policy-Based Approach to Personalization of Communication Over Converged Networks. InProc. of the 3rd International Workshop on Policies for Distributed Systems and Networks (POLICY’02), Monterey, California, USA, June 2002.Google Scholar
- 25.Carlo A. Licciardi and Paolo Falcarin. Analysis of NGN Service Creation Technologies.IEC Annual Review of Communications, 56:537–551, November 2003.Google Scholar
- 26.Swee B. Lim and David Ferry. JAIN SLEE 1.0 Specification.http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=22, visited on 20 June 2008.
- 27.Hal Lockhart et al. Web Services Federation Language (WS-Federation).http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/specification/ws-fed/, visited on 24 June 2008.
- 28.Rebecca Montanari, Emil Lupu, and Cesare Stefanelli. Policy-Based Dynamic Reconfiguration of Mobile-Code Applications.IEEE Computer, 37(7):73–80, 2004.Google Scholar
- 29.Tim O’Reilly. What is Web 2.0.http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/tim/news/2005/09/30/what-is-web-20.html, visited on 27 June 2008.
- 30.Michael P. Papazoglou, Paolo Traverso, Schahram Dustdar, and Frank Leymann. Service-Oriented Computing: State of the Art and Research Challenges.IEEE Computer, 40(11):38–45, 2007.Google Scholar
- 32.Quan Z. Sheng.Composite Web Services Provisioning in Dynamic Environments. PhD thesis, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia, 2006.Google Scholar
- 33.Quan Z. Sheng, Boualem Benatallah, Marlon Dumas, and Eileen Mak. SELF-SERV: A Platform for Rapid Composition of Web Services in a Peer-to-Peer Environment. InProc. of the 28th International Conference on Very Large Databases (VLDB’02), Hong Kong, China, August 2002.Google Scholar
- 34.Mazen Shiaa, Paolo Falcarin, Alain Pastor, Freddy Lécué, Eduardo Silva, and Luis F. Pires. Towards the Automation of the Service Composition Process: Case Study and Prototype Implementations. InProc. of the ICT Mobile and Wireless Communications Summit, Stockholm, Sweden, June 2008.Google Scholar
- 35.Jonathan Tourzan and Yuzo Koga, Ed. Liberty ID-WSF Web Services Framework Overview.http://www.projectliberty.org/liberty/content/download/1307/8286/file/liberty-idwsf-overview-v1.1.pdf, visited on 24 June 2008.
- 36.Wil M. P. van der Aalst and Mathias Weske. The P2P Approach to Interorganizational Workflows. InProc. of the 13th International Conference on Advanced Information Systems Engineering (CAiSE’01), Interlaken, Switzerland, June 2001.Google Scholar
- 37.Phil Windley.Digital Identity. O’Reilly Media Inc., Sebastopol, 2005.Google Scholar
- 38.Wireless Application Forum. Wireless Application Protocol User Agent Profile Specification.http://www.openmobilealliance.org/tech/affiliates/wap/wap-248-uaprof-20011020-a.pdf, visited on 27 June 2008.
- 39.Juan C. Yelmo, José M. Del Álamo, and Rubén Trapero. Privacy and Data Protection in a User-Centric Business Model for Telecommunications Services. InProc. of the IFIP International Federation for Information Processing: The Future of Identity in the Information Society, Karlstad University, Sweden, June 2008.Google Scholar
- 41.Franco Zambonelli, Nicholas R. Jennings, and Michael Wooldridge. Developing Multiagent Systems: The Gaia Methodology.ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology, 12(3):317–370, July 2003.Google Scholar
- 42.Johan Zuidweg.Implementing Value-Added Telecom Services. Artech House Inc., 2006.Google Scholar