A Holonic Approach to Warehouse Control
Warehouses play a critical role in the distribution of products of many suppliers to many customers. Traditionally, warehouse operations are controlled by centralised control systems. Because of increasing customer demands, the complexity of such systems becomes too large to respond optimally to all warehouse events. Holonic control systems try to overcome this limitation. This paper presents a framework that supports the development of holonic warehouse control systems. The framework, which is built on top of JADE middleware, allows a holonic control system to be generated from a warehouse layout model and a library of reusable behaviour components. The architecture of the framework and an example of its application to an existing warehouse are presented.
Keywordswarehouse control systems holonic control agent technology JADE automated system generation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Angel, B.W.F., van Damme, D.A., Ivanovskaia, A., Lenders, R.J.M., Veldhuijzen, R.S.: Warehousing space in Europe: meeting tomorrow’s demand. Capgemini (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Fleetwood, M., Kotak, D.B., Wu, S., Tamoto, H.: Holonic System Architecture for Scalable Infrastructures. In: Proceedings of the 2003 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, pp. 1469–1474 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Fletcher, M.: Holonic Manufacturing Systems: Some Scenarios and Issues. In: Proceedings of the Workshop Intelligent Methods for Quality Improvement in Industrial Practice (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Kachornvitaya-Wan, V.: Complex Integrated Order Fulfillment Technology: A Holonic Approach. PhD Thesis, Dartmouth College (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Kim, B.I.: Intelligent Agent Based Planning, Scheduling, and Control: Warehouse Management Application. PhD Thesis, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Leitaõ, P.J.P.: An Agile and Adaptive Holonic Architecture for Manufacturing Control. Dissertation, University of Porto (2004)Google Scholar
- 16.Wyns, J.: Reference Architecture for Holonic Manufacturing Systems - the key to support evolution and reconfiguration. PhD Thesis, KU Leuven (1999)Google Scholar