Optimum Channel Allocation in OFDMA Multi-cell Systems
This paper addresses the problem of allocating users to radio resources (i.e., sub-carriers) in the downlink of an OFDMA cellular system. We consider a classical multi-cellular environment with a realistic interference model and a margin adaptive approach, i.e., we aim at minimizing total transmission power while maintaining a certain given rate for each user. We discuss computational complexity issues of the resulting model and present a heuristic approach that finds optima under suitable conditions, or “reasonably good” solutions in the general case. Computational experiences show that, in a comparison with a commercial state-of-the-art optimization solver, our algorithm is quite effective in terms of both infeasibilities and transmitted powers and extremely efficient in terms of CPU times.
KeywordsRadio resource allocation network flow models heuristic algorithms
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Detti, P., Nicosia, G., Pacifici, A., Servilio, M.: Optimal power control in OFDMA cellular networks. Tech. Report n. 2008-4, Dipartimento di Ingegneria dell’Informazione, University of Siena (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Ergen, M., Coleri, S., Varaiya, P.: QoS aware adaptive resource allocation techniques. for fair scheduling in OFDMA based broadband wireless systems. IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting 49(4) (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.IEEE Standard for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks. Part 16: Air Interface for Fixed Broadband Wireless Access Systems, IEEE 802.16-2004 revisionGoogle Scholar
- 7.Pietrzyk, S., Jannsen, G.: Multiuser subcarrier allocation for QoS provision in OFDMA systems. In: IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, VTC (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Rhee, W., Cioffi, J.M.: Increase in capacity of multiuser OFDM system using dynamic subchannel allocation. In: Proc. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, VTC (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Shakkottai, S., Rappaport, T.S., Karlsson, P.C.: Cross-Layer Design for Wireless Networks. IEEE Communications Magazine, 41(10) (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Yin, H., Liu, H.: An efficient multiuser loading algorithm for OFDM based broadband wireless systems IEEE Globecom (2000)Google Scholar
- 12.Zhang, Y., Letaief, K.: Energy-efficient MAC-PHY resource management with guaranted QoS in wireless OFDM networks. In: Proc. IEEE ICC, Seoul, Korea (2005)Google Scholar