Workflows in Dynamic Development Processes
Process management systems are used in many domains to monitor and control processes. Development processes require specific support, which is not provided by conventional workflow systems. On the one hand, they comprise highly dynamic process parts, which cannot be defined until project runtime. On the other hand, development processes may contain subprocesses, which can be executed in the form of predefined workflows. In this paper we describe the integration of a specialized system for the management of dynamic development processes with a conventional workflow management system. This integrated solution targets the specific needs for the management of engineering design processes in the plant construction domain. It has been implemented as an extension to a commercial CAE-tool, and it will be evaluated in industrial practice in the near future.
KeywordsDynamic workflow development process task net process management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Heller, M., Nagl, M., Wörzberger, R., Heer, T.: Dynamic Process Management Based Upon Existing Systems. In: , pp. 733–748Google Scholar
- 2.Nagl, M., Marquardt, W. (eds.): Collaborative and Distributed Chemical Engineering. From Understanding to Substantial Design Process Support. LNCS, vol. 4970. Springer, Heidelberg (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Heller, M., Jäger, D., Krapp, C.A., Nagl, M., Schleicher, A., Westfechtel, B., Wörzberger, R.: An Adaptive and Reactive Management System for Project Coordination. In: , pp. 307–373Google Scholar
- 4.Innotec corporation: Website (2008), http://www.innotec.de/en
- 5.Krapp, C.A.: An Adaptable Environment for the Management of Development Processes. PhD thesis, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Huth, C., Erdmann, I., Nastansky, L.: GroupProcess: Using Process Knowledge from the Participative Design and Practical Operation of Ad Hoc Processes for the Design of Structured Workflows. In: Proc. of the 34th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS-34). IEEE Conference Publishing Services (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Microsoft: Windows Workflow Foundation (2008), http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa663328.aspx
- 9.Workflow Management Coalition: The Workflow Reference Model, Document Number WFMC-TC00-1003, Issue 1.1 (January 1995), http://www.wfmc.org/
- 14.Bussler, C.: Workflow Instance Scheduling with Project Management Tools. In: DEXA 1998, p. 753. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (1998)Google Scholar