Compact ASIC Architectures for the 512-Bit Hash Function Whirlpool
Compact hardware architectures are proposed for the ISO/IEC 10118-3 standard hash function Whirlpool. In order to reduce the circuit area, the 512-bit function block ρ[k] for the main datapath is divided into smaller sub-blocks with 256-, 128-, or 64-bit buses, and the sub-blocks are used iteratively. Six architectures are designed by combining the three different datapath widths and two data scheduling techniques: interleave and pipeline. The six architectures in conjunction with three different types of S-box were synthesized using a 90-nm CMOS standard cell library, with two optimization options: size and speed. A total of 18 implementations were obtained, and their performances were compared with conventional designs using the same standard cell library. The highest hardware efficiency (defined by throughput per gate) of 372.3 Kbps/gate was achieved by the proposed pipeline architecture with the 256-bit datapath optimized for speed. The interleaved architecture with the 64-bit datapath optimized for size showed the smallest size of 13.6 Kgates, which requires only 46% of the resources of the conventional compact architecture.
KeywordsHash function Whirlpool Hardware architecture Cryptographic hardware
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The Whirlpool Hash Function, http://paginas.terra.com.br/informatica/paulobarreto/WhirlpoolPage.html
- 2.Barreto, P., Rijmen, V.: The Whirlpool Hash Function, http://planeta.terra.om.br/informatica/paulobarreto/whirlpool.zip
- 3.ISO/IEC 10118-3:2004, "Information technology – Security techniques – Hash-functions – Part 3: Dedicated hash-functions, http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=39876
- 4.NIST, Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) FIPS Publication 197, (November 2001), http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/fips/fips197/fips-197.pdf
- 5.Satoh, A.: ASIC Hardware Implementations for 512-Bit Hash Function Whirlpool. In: Proceedings ISCAS 2008, pp. 2917–2920 (May 2008)Google Scholar
- 6.NIST, Secure Hash Standard (SHS), FIPS PUB 180-2 (August 2002), http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/fips/fips180-2/fips180-2withchangenotice.pdf
- 7.Pramstaller, N., Rechberger, C., Rijmen, V.: A Compact FPGA Implementation of the Hash Function Whirlpool. In: Proceedings of the 2006 ACM/SIGDA, pp. 159–166 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Alho, T., Hämäläinen, P., Hännikäinen, M., Hämäläinen, T.: Compact Hardware Design of Whirlpool Hashing Core. In: Proceedings of the DATE 2007, pp. 1247–1252 (April 2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Circuits Multi-Projets (CMP), CMOS 90 nm (CMOS090) from STMicroelectronics, http://cmp.imag.fr/products/ic/?p=STCMOS090