Image-Feature Based Human Identification Protocols on Limited Display Devices
We present variations and modifications of the image-feature based human identification protocol proposed by Jameel et al with application to user authentication on mobile devices with limited display capabilities. The protocols introduced are essentially reduced versions of the original protocol with a minor tradeoff between security and usability. However, the proposed protocols are not aimed for computation and memory restrained devices. A brief user survey highlights the usability. By employing realistic assumptions pertaining to mobile devices, we show that the protocols are secure under the conjectured difficulty of extracting the secret feature from the observation of images and their binary answers. The adversary considered is strictly passive.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Jermyn, I., Mayer, A., Monrose, F., Reiter, M., Rubin, A.: The design and analysis of graphical passwords. In: 8th USENIX Security Symposium (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Matsumoto, T.: Human-computer cryptography: An attempt. In: 3rd ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security, pp. 68–75. ACM Press, New York (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Li, S., Shum, H.-Y.: Secure Human-computer Identification against Peeping Attacks (SecHCI): A Survey. Unpublished report, available at Elsevier’s Computer Science Preprint Server (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Dhamija, R., Perrig, A.: Deja Vu: A User Study using Images for Authentication. In: Proc. of the 9th USENIX Security Symposium, pp. 45–58 (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Passfaces Corporation: White Paper. The Science behind Passfaces (2005), http://www.passfaces.com
- 11.Sorensen, V.: PassPic - Visual Password Management (2002), http://www.authord.com
- 12.Weinshall, D.: Cognitive Authentication Schemes Safe Against Spyware (Short Paper). In: IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, pp. 295–300 (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.Golle, P., Wagner, D.: Cryptanalysis of a Cognitive Authentication Scheme. Cryptology ePrint Archive, Report 2006/258, http://eprint.iacr.org/
- 15.Jameel, H., Lee, H., Lee, S.: Using Image Attributes for Human Identification Protocols. Technical Report, CoRR abs/0704.2295 (2007), http://arxiv.org/abs/0704.2295