Postmodernism and Control Engineering
Modernism and Postmodernism
Modernism is defined by some important features: rationalism (the belief in knowledge through reason), empiricism (the belief in knowledge through experience) and materialism (the belief in a purely physical universe). Postmodernism is a recent movement and a reaction to modernism.
The term Postmodernism was coined in the early 60’s to describe the dissatisfaction with the modern architecture and became than a term for reaction to modernism in other fields as well . Postmodern ideas in arts have influenced the philosophy and the analysis of culture and society. As engineers, we are interested to find out if a cultural movement, namely the postmodernism, is able to mark the scientific and the technological visions of our society, or at least, if similarities caused by the same social environment can be revealed in both fields. Since even the architecture, the domain that generated the term has an inevitable technological component, positive answers to the above mentioned quests are natural. The vice versa question is also challenging: are science and technology able to initiate and to determine global trends of the intellectual thinking?
Positive answers have been already given to these questions; our chapter is meaning just to bring some personal arguments and opinions.
KeywordsFuzzy Logic Phase Trajectory Close Loop Control System Feedback Network Fuzzy Expert System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bǎlas, M., Duplaix, J.: Switching Control by Phase Trajectory. In: Proceedings of the International Symposium Research and Education in an Innovation Era, section III: Engineering Processes and Technologies, Aurel Vlaicu University, Arad, November 11-18, 2006, pp. 518–525 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Bǎlas, M., Bǎlas, V., Dragomir, T.L.: On the Switching Controllers’ Issue and Smooth Controller Switching by Phase Trajectory Qualitative Analysis. In: The 6th International Conference on Recent Advances in Soft Computing (Abstracts + CD), Canterbury, July 10-12, pp. 63–68 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Bǎlas, V., Bǎlas, M.: Switching Adaptive Correctors for Fuzzy Fusion Self-Adapted Interpolative Controllers. In: 3rd International Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics ISCIII 2007, March 2007, pp. 67–72. Agadir (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Bǎlas, M., Bǎlas, V.: The Family of Self Adaptive Interpolative Controllers. In: Proceedings of Information Processing and Management of Uncertainty in Knowledge-Based Systems IPMU 2004, Perugia, vol. III, pp. 2119–2124 (July 2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Kóczy, L.T., Balas, M.M., Ciugudean, M., Balas, V.E., Botzheim, J.: On the Interpolative Side of the Fuzzy Sets. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Workshop on Soft Computing Applications SOFA 2005, Szeged-Arad, August 27-30, 2005, pp. 17–23 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Leith, D., Shorten, R., Leithead, W., Mason, O., Curran, P.: Issues in the design of switched linear control systems: a benchmark study, http://www.hamilton.ie/doug/benchmark.pdf
- 8.Negoita, C.V.: Fuzzy Sets. New Falcon Publications, Tempe, Arizona (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Negoita, C.V.: Postmodernism, Cybernetics and Fuzzy Set Theory. In: Proceedings of IPMU 2002, Annecy, France, July 1-5, 2002, pp. 681–686 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Samad, T.: Postmodernism and Intelligent Control. In: Proceedings of the 12th IEEE International Symposium on Intelligent Control, Istambul, Turkey, July 16-18, 1997, pp. 37–42 (1997)Google Scholar
- 11.Simon, D.: Truth, American Culture and Fuzzy Logic, http://academic.csuohio.edu/simond/pubs/317101.pdf
- 12.Toffler, A.: The Third Wave. Bantam Books (1980)Google Scholar
- 14.Zadeh, L.A.: Toward a Logic of Perceptions Based on Fuzzy Logic. In: Novak, V., Perfilieva, V.I. (eds.) Discovering the World With Fuzzy. LogicStudies in Fuzziness and Soft Computing, vol. 57, pp. 4–28. Springer, Heidelberg (2000)Google Scholar
- 15.Wikipedia The Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postmodernism
- 16.Wikipedia The Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chua’s_circuit