Memory Locality Exploitation Strategies for FFT on the CUDA Architecture
Modern graphics processing units (GPU) are becoming more and more suitable for general purpose computing due to its growing computational power. These commodity processors follow, in general, a parallel SIMD execution model whose efficiency is subject to a right exploitation of the explicit memory hierarchy, among other factors. In this paper we analyze the implementation of the Fast Fourier Transform using the programming model of the Compute Unified Device Architecture (CUDA) recently released by NVIDIA for its new graphics platforms. Within this model we propose an FFT implementation that takes into account memory reference locality issues that are crucial in order to achieve a high execution performance. This proposal has been experimentally tested and compared with other well known approaches such as the manufacturer’s FFT library.
KeywordsGraphics Processing Unit (GPU) Compute Unified Device Architecture (CUDA) Fast Fourier Transform memory reference locality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fialka, O., Cadik, M.: FFT and Convolution Performance in Image Filtering on GPU. Information Visualization (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Fastest Fourier Transform in the West (FFTW), http://www.fftw.org/
- 4.Govindaraju, N.K., Larsen, S., Gray, J., Manocha, D.: A Memory Model for Scientific Algorithms on Graphics Processors. In: Conference on Supercomputing (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Jansen, T., von Rymon-Lipinski, B., Hanssen, N., Keeve, E.: Fourier volume rendering on the GPU using a split-stream FFT. In: Vision, Modeling, and Visualization Workshop (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Moler, C.: HPC Benchmark. In: Conference on Supercomputing (2006), http://www.hpcchallenge.org/presentations/sc2006/moler-slides.pdf
- 7.Moreland, K., Angel, E.: The FFT on a GPU. In: ACM Conference on Graphics Hardware (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.NVIDIA CUDA Homepage, http://developer.nvidia.com/object/cuda.html
- 9.Spitzer, J.: Implementing a GPU-Efficient FFT. SIGGRAPH GPGPU Course (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Sumanaweera, T., Liu, D.: Medical Image Reconstruction with the FFT. GPU Gems 2, 765–784 (2005)Google Scholar