Hybrid Parallelization Techniques for Lattice Boltzmann Free Surface Flows
In the following, we will present an algorithm to perform adaptive free surface simulations with the lattice Boltzmann method (LBM) on machines with shared and distributed memory architectures. Performance results for different test cases and architectures will be given. The algorithm for parallelization yields a high performance, and can be combined with the adaptive LBM simulations. Moreover, the effects of the adaptive simulation on the parallel performance will be evaluated.
KeywordsLattice Boltzmann Method Interface Cell OpenMP Thread Message Passing Interface Process Distribute Memory Architecture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Chandra, L. Dagum, D. Kohr, D. Maydan, J. McDonald, and R. Menon. Parallel Programming in OpenMP. Academic Press, 2001.Google Scholar
- 2.W. Gropp, E. Lusk, and A. Skjellum. Using MPI, Portable Parallel Programming with the Mesage-Passing Interface. MIT Press, second edition, 1999.Google Scholar
- 3.W. Gropp, E. Lusk, and R. Thakur. Using MPI-2, Advances Features of the Message-Passing Interface. MIT Press, 1999.Google Scholar
- 4.C. Körner, T. Pohl, U. Rüde, N. Thürey, and T. Zeiser. Parallel Lattice Boltzmann Methods for CFD Applications. In A.M. Bruaset and A. Tveito, editors, Numerical Solution of Partial Differential Equations on Parallel Computers, volume 51 of LNCSE, pages 439–465. Springer, 2005.Google Scholar
- 5.T. Pohl, M. Kowarschik, J. Wilke, K. Iglberger, and U. Rüde. Optimization and Profiling of the Cache Performance of Parallel Lattice Boltzmann Codes in 2D and 3D. Technical Report 03–8, Germany, 2003.Google Scholar
- 6.T. Pohl, N. Thürey, F. Deserno, U. Rüde, P. Lammers, G. Wellein, and T. Zeiser. Performance Evaluation of Parallel Large-Scale Lattice Boltzmann Applications on Three Super-computing Architectures. In Proc. of Supercomputing Conference 2004, 2004.Google Scholar