A Rule System for Network-Centric Operation in Massively Distributed Systems
Sensor and Actor Networks (SANETs) represent a specific class of massively distributed systems in which classical communication protocols often fail due to scalability problems. New control paradigms are needed in this place. This paper outlines biological communication techniques as known cellular biology, which are known as cellular signaling pathways. We show the adaptation of these principles to the world of SANETs by discussing a rule-based control system for network-centric communication and data processing. This system is able to perform data pre-processing such as data aggregation or fusion as well as data-centric communication based on rules that are distributed throughout the entire network. First simulation results demonstrate that this system is able to outperform classical routing approaches in specific SANET scenarios.
Keywordssensor and actor networks self-organization bio-inspired networking rules-based sensor network cellular signaling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kahn, J.M., Katz, R., Pister, K.: Emerging Challenges: Mobile Networking for “Smart Dust”. Journal of Communications and Networking 2(3) (September 2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Melodia, T., Pompili, D., Gungor, V.C., Akyildiz, I.F.: A Distributed Coordination Framework for Wireless Sensor and Actor Networks. In: 6th ACM International Symposium on Mobile Ad-Hoc Networking and Computing (ACM Mobihoc 2005), Urbana-Champaign, Il, USA, pp. 99–110 (May 2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Alberts, B., Bray, D., Lewis, J., Raff, M., Roberts, K., Watson, J.D.: Molecular Biology of the Cell, 3rd edn. Garland Publishing, Inc. (1994)Google Scholar
- 8.Milo, R., Shen-Orr, S., Itzkovitz, S., Kashtan, N., Chklovskii, D., Alon, U.: Network Motifs: Simple Building Blocks of Complex Networks. Nature 298, 824–827 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Vitek, J., Tschudin, C.: MOS 1996. LNCS, vol. 1222. Springer, Heidelberg (1997)Google Scholar
- 11.Mackert, L.F., Neumeier-Mackert, I.B.: Communicating Rule Systems. In: 7th IFIP International Conference on Protocol Specification, Testing and Verification, pp. 77–88 (1987)Google Scholar
- 12.Haas, Z.J., Halpern, J.Y., Li, L.: Gossip-Based Ad-Hoc Routing. In: 21st IEEE Conference on Computer Communications (IEEE INFOCOM 2002), pp. 1707–1716 (June 2002)Google Scholar
- 13.Dressler, F., Dietrich, I., German, R., Krüger, B.: Efficient Operation in Sensor and Actor Networks Inspired by Cellular Signaling Cascades. In: 1st ICST/ACM International Conference on Autonomic Computing and Communication Systems (Autonomics 2007), Rome, Italy (October 2007)Google Scholar