Scalable Data Collection in Sensor Networks
Dense sensor deployments impose significant constraints on aggregate network data rate and resource utilization. Effective protocols for such data transfers rely on spatio-temporal correlations in sensor data for in-network data compression. The message complexity of these schemes is generally lower bounded by n, for a network with n sensors, since correlation is not collocated with sensing. Consequently, as the number of nodes and network density increase, these protocols become increasingly inefficient. We present here a novel protocol, called SNP, for fine-grained data collection, which requires approximately O(n − R) messages, where R, a measure of redundancy in sensed data generally increases with density. SNP uses spatio-temporal correlations to near-optimally compress data at the source, reducing network traffic and power consumption. We present a comprehensive information theoretic basis for SNP and establish its superior performance in comparison to existing approaches. We support our results with a comprehensive experimental evaluation of the performance of SNP in a real-world sensor network testbed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Awan, A., Jagannathan, S., Grama, A.: Macroprogramming heterogeneous sensor network systems using COSMOS. In: Proc. of EuroSys (March 2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Chu, D., Deshpande, A., Hellerstein, J.M., Hong, W.: Approximate data collection in sensor networks using probabilistic models. In: Proc. of ICDE 2006 (April 2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Levis, P., et al.: The Emergence of Networking Abstractions and Techniques in TinyOS. In: Proc. of NSDI 2004 (March 2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Gupta, P., Kumar, P.R.: The capacity of wireless networks. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory IT-46(2) (March 2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Heinzelman, W.R., Chandrakasan, A., Balakrishnan, H.: Energy-efficient communication protocols for wireless microsensor networks. In: Proc. of HICSS (January 2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Kulik, J., Rabiner, W., Balakrishnan, H.: Adaptive protocols for information dissemination in wireless sensor networks. In: Proc. of Mobicom 1999 (August 1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Pattem, S., Krishnamachari, B., Govindan, R.: The impact of spatial correlation on routing with compression in wireless sensor networks. In: Proc. of IPSN 2004 (April 2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Pradhan, S., Kusuma, J., Ramchandran, K.: Distributed compression in a dense microsensor network. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine 19(2) (March 2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Savvides, A., Han, C.-C., Strivastava, M.B.: Dynamic fine-grained localization in ad-hoc networks of sensors. In: Mobicom 2001 (July 2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Slepian, D., Wolf, J.: Noiseless coding of correlated information sources. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory 19(4)Google Scholar
- 12.Tolle, G.: Sonoma redwoods data (2005), www.cs.berkeley.edu/~get/sonoma