Accelerating Cone Beam Reconstruction Using the CUDA-Enabled GPU
Compute unified device architecture (CUDA) is a software development platform that enables us to write and run general-purpose applications on the graphics processing unit (GPU). This paper presents a fast method for cone beam reconstruction using the CUDA-enabled GPU. The proposed method is accelerated by two techniques: (1) off-chip memory access reduction; and (2) memory latency hiding. We describe how these techniques can be incorporated into CUDA code. Experimental results show that the proposed method runs at 82% of the peak memory bandwidth, taking 5.6 seconds to reconstruct a 5123-voxel volume from 360 5122-pixel projections. This performance is 18% faster than the prior method. Some detailed analyses are also presented to understand how effectively the acceleration techniques increase the reconstruction performance of a naive method.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Scherl, H., Keck, B., Kowarschik, M., Hornegger, J.: Fast GPU-based CT reconstruction using the common unified device architecture (CUDA). In: Proc. Nuclear Science Symp. and Medical Imaging Conf (NSS/MIC 2007), October 2007, pp. 4464–4466 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Riabkov, D., Xue, X., Tubbs, D., Cheryauka, A.: Accelerated cone-beam backprojection using GPU-CPU hardware. In: Proc. 9th Int’l. Meeting Fully Three-Dimensional Image Reconstruction in Radiology and Nuclear Medicine (Fully 3D 2007), July 2007, pp. 68–71 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhao, X., Bian, J., Sidky, E.Y., Cho, S., Zhang, P., Pan, X.: GPU-based 3D cone-beam CT image reconstruction: application to micro CT. In: Proc. Nuclear Science Symp. and Medical Imaging Conf. (NSS/MIC 2007), October 2007, pp. 3922–3925 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Schiwietz, T., Bose, S., Maltz, J., Westermann, R.: A fast and high-quality cone beam reconstruction pipeline using the GPU. In: Proc. SPIE Medical Imaging 2007, February 2007, pp. 1279–1290 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Gac, N., Mancini, S., Desvignes, M.: Hardware/software 2D-3D backprojection on a SoPC platform. In: Proc. 21st ACM Symp. Applied Computing (SAC 2006), pp. 222–228 (April 2006)Google Scholar
- 8.nVIDIA Corporation: CUDA Programming Guide Version 1.1 (November 2007), http://developer.nvidia.com/cuda/
- 10.Li, M., Yang, H., Koizumi, K., Kudo, H.: Fast cone-beam CT reconstruction using CUDA architecture. Medical Imaging Technology 25(4), 243–250 (2007) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 11.Ikeda, T., Ino, F., Hagihara, K.: A code motion technique for accelerating general-purpose computation on the GPU. In: Proc. 20th IEEE Int’l. Parallel and Distributed Processing Symp. (IPDPS 2006), 10 pages (April 2006) (CD-ROM)Google Scholar