Personalized News Video Recommendation Via Interactive Exploration
In this paper, we have developed an interactive approach to enable personalized news video recommendation. First, multi-modal information channels (audio, video and closed captions) are seamlessly integrated and synchronized to achieve more reliable news topic detection, and the contextual relationships between the news topics are extracted automatically. Second, topic network and hyperbolic visualization are seamlessly integrated to achieve interactive navigation and exploration of large-scale collections of news videos at the topic level, so that users can have a good global overview of large-scale collections of news videos at the first glance. In such interactive topic network navigation and exploration process, the user’s personal background knowledge can be taken into consideration for obtaining the news topics of interest interactively, building up their mental models of news needs precisely and formulating their searches easily by selecting the visible news topics on the screen directly. Our system can further recommend the relevant web news, the new search directions, and the most relevant news videos according to their importance and representativeness scores. Our experiments on large-scale collections of news videos have provided very positive results.
KeywordsTopic network personalized news video recommendation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yang, B., Mei, T., Hua, X.S., Yang, L., Yang, S.Q., Li, M.: Online video recommendation based on multimodal fusion and relevance feedback. In: ACM CIVR, pp. 73–80 (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Marchionini, G.: Information seeking in electronic environments. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Luo, H., Fan, J., Yang, J., Ribarsky, W., Satoh, S.: Analyzing large-scale news video databases to support knowledge visualization and intuitive retrieval. In: IEEE Symposium on Visual Analytics Science and Technology (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Swan, R., Allan, J.: Timemine: visualizing automatically constructed timelines. In: ACM SIGIR (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Weskamp, M.: Newsmap, http://www.marumushi.com/apps/newsmap/index.cfm
- 8.Lai, W., Hua, X.S., Ma, W.Y.: Towards content-based relevance ranking for video search. In: ACM Multimedia, pp. 627–630 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Teevan, J., Dumais, S., Horvitz, E.: Personalized search via automated analysis of interests and activities. In: ACM SIGIR (2005)Google Scholar