Ubiquitous Interactive Visualization of 3-D Mantle Convection through Web Applications Using Java
We have designed a new system for real-time interactive visualization of results taken directly from large-scale simulations of 3-D mantle convection and other large-scale simulations. This approach allows for intense visualization sessions for a couple of hours as opposed to storing massive amounts of data in a storage system. Our data sets consist of 3-D data for volume rendering with sets ranging as high as over 10 million unknowns at each timestep. Large scale visualization on a display wall holding around 13 million pixels has already been accomplished with extension to hand-held devices, such as the OQO and Nokia N800. We are developing web-based software in Java to extend the use of this system across long distances. The software is aimed at creating an interactive and functional application capable of running on multiple browsers by taking advantage of two AJAX-enabled web frameworks: Echo2 and Google Web Toolkit.
KeywordsMantle Convection Visualization System Interactive Visualization Achieve Data Rate Image Panel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cohen, R.: High performance computing requirements for the computational solid earth sciences (2005), http://www.geo-prose.com/computational_SES.html
- 2.Graham, S., Snir, M., Patterson, C. (eds.): Getting up to Speed: The Future of Supercomputing. National Academies Press, Washington (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Damon, M., Kameyama, M., Knox, M., Porter, D., Yuen, D., Sevre, E.: Interactive visualization of 3d mantle convection. Visual Geosciences (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Porter, D.: Volume visualization of high-resolution data using pc clusters. Technical report, Laboratory for Computational Science and Engineering (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Porter, D., Woodward, P., Iyer, A.: Initial experiences with grid-based volume visualization of fluid flow simulations on pc clusters, vol. 5669, pp. 115–125. SPIE (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Greensky, J., Czech, W., Yuen, D., Knox, M., Damon, M., Chen, S., Kameyama, C.: Ubiquitous interactive visualization of 3-d mantle convection using a web portal with java and ajax framework. Visual Geosciences (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Chin-Purcell, K.: All about bob: A tool for browsing 3d data sets. Technical report, Army High Performance Computing Research Center (1992)Google Scholar
- 9.Lamberti, F., Zunino, C., Sanna, A., Fiume, A., Maniezzo, M.: An accelerated remote graphics architecture for pdas. In: Proc. the 8th International Conference on 3D Web Technology (2003)Google Scholar
- 13.Sevre, E., Yuen, D., Liu, Y.: Visualization of tsunami waves with amira package. Visual Geosciences (2008)Google Scholar