The Potential of Collaborative Document Evaluation for Science
Peer review and citation analysis are the two most common approaches for quality evaluations of scientific publications, although they are subject to criticism for various reasons. This paper outlines the problems of citation analysis and peer review and introduces Collaborative Document Evaluation as a supplement or possibly even a substitute. Collaborative Document Evaluation aims to enable the readers of publications to act as peer reviewers and share their evaluations in the form of ratings, annotations, links and classifications via the internet. In addition, Collaborative Document Evaluation might well enhance the search for publications. In this paper the implications of Collaborative Document Evaluation for the scientific community are discussed and questions are asked as to how to create incentives for scientists to participate.
Keywordsopen peer review citation analysis alternative research policy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Godlee, F., Gale, C., Martyn, C.: Effect on the Quality of Peer Review of Blinding Reviewers and Asking Them to Sign Their Reports. In: JAMA, pp. 237–240 (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Relman, A.S.: Peer Review in Scientific Journals - What Good Is It? New England Journal of Medicine 153, 520–522 (1990)Google Scholar
- 7.Nature’s peer review trial, Nature (2006), http://www.nature.com/nature/peerreview/debate/nature05535.html
- 8.Ball, P.: The more, the wikier, Nature (2007) , http://www.nature.com/news/2007/070226/full/news070226-6.html
- 9.Nyblod, R., Byrne, J.: USPTO Extends and Expands Peer Review Pilot (July 2008), http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/speeches/08-26.htm
- 10.Beel, J., Gipp, B.: Collaborative Document Evaluation: An Alternative Approach to Classic Peer Review. In: proceedings of World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 31, pp. 410–413 (2008) ISSN 1307-6884Google Scholar
- 11.Gipp, B., Beel, J.: Scienstein: A Research Paper Recommender System (not published yet)Google Scholar