Semantic and Event-Based Approach for Link Prediction
The scientific breakthroughs resulting from the collaborations between researchers often outperform the expectations. But finding the partners who will bring this synergic effect can take time and sometime gets nowhere considering the huge amounts of experts in various disciplines. We propose to build a link predictor in a network where nodes represent researchers and links - coauthorships. In this method we use the structure of the constructed graph, and propose to add a semantic and event based approach to improve the accuracy of the predictor. In this case, predictors might offer good suggestions for future collaborations. We will be able to compute the classification of a massive dataset in a reasonable time by under-sampling and balancing the data. This model could be extended in other fields where the research of partnership is important as in world of institutions, associations or companies. We believe that it could also help with finding communities of topics, since link predictors contain implicit information about the semantic relation between researchers.
KeywordsFeature Vector Collaboration Network Minority Class Link Prediction Common Neighbour
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.The DBLP computer science bibliography (2008), http://dblp.uni-trier.de/xml/
- 7.Hasan, M.A.: Link prediction using supervised learning. In: Proceedings of the Workshop on Link Analysis, Counter-terrorism and Security (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Liben-Nowell, D., Kleinberg, J.: The link prediction problem for social networks. In: Proceedings of the twelfth international conference on Information and knowledge management, pp. 556–559. ACM Press, New York (2003)Google Scholar
- 15.Pavlov, M., Ichise, R.: Finding experts by link prediction in co-authorship networks. In: Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Finding Experts on the Web with Semantics (November 2007)Google Scholar
- 16.Popescul, A., Ungar, L.H.: Statistical relational learning for link prediction. In: Proceedings of Workshop on Learning Statistical Models from Relational Data (2003)Google Scholar
- 17.Ross Quinlan, J.: C4.5: Programs for Machine Learning. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (1993)Google Scholar
- 18.Taskar, B., Wong, M.-F., Abbeel, P., Koller, D.: Link prediction in relational data. In: Proceedings of Neural Information Processing Systems (2003)Google Scholar
- 19.Witten, I.H., Frank, E.: Data Mining: Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques with Java Implementations. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (1999)Google Scholar