Finding Orthogonal Arrays Using Satisfiability Checkers and Symmetry Breaking Constraints
Orthogonal arrays are very important combinatorial objects which can be used in software testing and other areas. Mathematical methods for constructing such arrays have been studied extensively in the past decades. In contrast, computer search techniques, in particular exhaustive search methods, are rarely used to solve the problem. In this paper, we present an algorithm which finds orthogonal arrays of given sizes or shows their non-existence. The algorithm is essentially a backtrack search procedure, but enhanced with some novel symmetry breaking (isomorphism elimination) techniques. The orthogonal array is generated column by column, and the constraints are checked by an efficient SAT solver or pseudo-Boolean constraint solver. We have implemented a tool called BOAS (Backtrack-style OA Searcher) using MiniSat and PBS. Experimental results show that our tool can find many orthogonal arrays quickly, especially those with strength higher than 2.
KeywordsSymmetry Breaking Orthogonal Array Exhaustive Search Method Symmetry Breaking Constraint Current Column
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aloul, F.: The PBS Page, http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~faloul/Tools/pbs/
- 3.Black, R.: Pragmatic Software Testing. Wiley, Chichester (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Eén, N., Sorensson, N.: The MiniSat Page, http://www.cs.chalmers.se/Cs/Research/FormalMethods/MiniSat/
- 7.Hedayat, A.S., Sloane, N.J.A., Stufken, J.: Orthogonal Arrays: Theory and Applications. Springer Series in Statistics (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Ma, F., Zhang, J.: Seaching for Orthogonal Arrays. ISCAS-LCS-07-05 (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Snepvangers, R.: Statistical Designs for High-Throughput Experimentation. Technical report, Stan Ackermans Institute (August 2006)Google Scholar
- 14.Walsh, T.: Symmetry Breaking using Value Precedence. In: Proc. ECAI 2006, pp. 168–172 (2006)Google Scholar
- 17.Yan, J., Zhang, J.: Backtracking Algorithms and Search Heuristics to Generate Test Suites for Combinatorial Testing. In: Proceedings of COMPSAC, pp. 385–394 (2006); Extended version, to appear J. of Systems and Software Google Scholar
- 18.Zhang, J., Zhang, H.: SEM: A System for Enumerating Models. In: Proceedings of IJCAI 1995, pp. 298–303 (1995)Google Scholar