A Software System for Robotic Learning by Experimentation
The goal of this work is to develop an integration framework for a robotic software system which enables robotic learning by experimentation within a distributed and heterogeneous setting. To meet this challenge, the authors specified, defined, developed, implemented and tested a component-based architecture called XPERSIF. The architecture comprises loosely-coupled, autonomous components that offer services through their well-defined interfaces and form a service-oriented architecture. The Ice middleware is used in the communication layer. Additionally, the successful integration of the XPERSim simulator into the system has enabled simultaneous quasi-realtime observation of the simulation by numerous, distributed users.
KeywordsCognitive Architecture Simple Object Access Protocol Autonomous Component Robot Learning Overhead Camera
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Erl, T.: Service-Oriented Architecture: Concepts, Technology, and Design. Prentice Hall PTR, Upper Saddle River (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Awaad, I., Leon, B.: Xpersif: A component-based software integration framework for robotic learning by experimentation. Technical report, University of Applied Sciences Bonn-Rhein-Sieg (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Bratko, I.: Initial experiments in robot discovery in xpero. In: International Conference on Robotics and Automation Workshop on Concept Learning for Embodied Agents (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Makarenko, A., Brooks, A., Kaupp, T.: On the benefits of making robotic software frameworks thin. In: IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems Workshop (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Gerkey, B., Vaughn, R.T., Howard, A.: The player/stage project: Tools for multi-robot and distributed sensor systems. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Automation and Robotics, pp. 317–323 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.The Miro Group, Miro Manual Version 0.9.4 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Henning, M.: Massively multiplayer middleware. Association for Computing Machinery Queue Magazine 1(10) (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Makarenko, A.: The ORCA manual 2.7.0 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Awaad, I., Leon, B.: Xpersim: A simulator for robot learning by experimentation. In: Proceedings of this conference (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Funkhouser, T.A.: Ring: A client-server system for multiuser virtual environments. In: Proceedings of the SIGGRAPH Symposium on Interactive 3D Graphics, Association for Computing Machinery SIGGRAPH, pp. 85–92 (1995)Google Scholar
- 11.Henning, M., Spruiell, M.: Distributed Programming with Ice. ZeroC Inc. Revision 3.2 edn. (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Brookshire, J.D.: Enhancing multi-robot coordinated teams with sliding autonomy. Master’s thesis, Carnegie Mellon University (2004)Google Scholar