Designing Secure Protocols for Wireless Sensor Networks
Over the years, a myriad of protocols have been proposed for resource-limited Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs). Similarly, security research for WSNs has also evolved over the years. Although fundamental notions of WSN research are well established, optimization of the limited resources has motivated new research directions in the field. In this paper, we seek to present general principles to aid in the design of secure WSN protocols. Therefore, building upon both the established and the new concepts, envisioned applications, and the experience garnered from the WSNs research, we first review the desired security services (i.e., confidentiality, authentication, integrity, access control, availability, and nonrepudiation) from WSNs perspective. Then, we question which services would be necessary for resource-constrained WSNs and when it would be most reasonable to implement them for a WSN application.
KeywordsWireless Sensor Networks Security in Wireless Sensor Networks Security Services for Wireless Sensor Networks
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Xbow, Crossbow technology (2008), http://www.xbow.com/
- 3.Akyildiz, I.F., Vuran, M.C., Akan, O.B.: A cross layer protocol for wireless sensor networks. In: Proc. CISS 2006, Princeton, NJ (March 2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Stallings, W.: Cryptography and Network Security: Principles and Practices, 3rd edn. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Roosta, T., Shieh, S., Sastry, S.: Taxonomy of security attacks in sensor networks. In: The First IEEE International Conference on System Integration and Reliability Improvements, Hanoi, Vietnam (December 2006)Google Scholar
- 7.ITU. X. 800, Security architecture for open systems interconnection for ccitt applications (1991)Google Scholar
- 8.Eschenauer, L., Gligor, V.D.: A key-management scheme for distributed sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the ACM CCS 2002, pp. 41–47 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Karlof, C., Sastry, N., Wagner, D.: Tinysec: A link layer security architecture for wireless sensor networks. In: ACM SenSys 2004 (November 2004)Google Scholar
- 15.Pietro, R.D., Mancini, L., Mei, A., Panconesi, A., Radhakrishnan, J.: How to design connected sensor networks that are provably secure. Securecomm, 89–100 (2006)Google Scholar
- 16.Hou, H., Corbett, C., Li, Y., Beyah, R.: Dynamic energy-based encoding and filtering in sensor networks. In: Proc. of the IEEE MILCOM (October 2007)Google Scholar
- 17.Vu, C., Beyah, R., Li, Y.: A composite event detection in wireless sensor networks. In: Proc. of the IEEE IPCCC (April 2007)Google Scholar