Studies on the Taxonomy and Distribution of Freshwater Sponges in Lake Baikal
- 1.5k Downloads
During the summers of 1993–2001, we carried out expeditions in order to collect sponges and to review their taxonomy and distribution in Lake Baikal. A total of 1,539 specimens were collected in our expeditions. Most specimens were classified into 2 families 7 genera, and 14 species, though some remained unclassified because of taxonomic confusion. Most sponges belonged to the family of Lubomirskiidae which were distributed widely in Lake Baikal. A few sponges with gemmules, which were confined to the “Little sea” near Olkhon Island and to an estuary in the North Basin, belonged to the Spongillidae. In qualitative survey of vertical distribution, B. intermedia showed the highest frequency among all species and found more often in shallow zones. L. baicalensis was second with regard to frequency and also found more often in shallow zones. Though S. papyracea had been believed to inhabit only deeper zones, it occurred in shallow zones as well. In this survey, the biomass of sponges at 10 m depth showed maximum value and showed the second largest at 20m depth.
KeywordsLittoral Zone Deep Zone Crustal Form Shallow Zone South Basin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Annandale, N., 1913. Notes on some sponges from Lake Baikal in the collection of the Imperial Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg. Ann Mus Zool Acad Sci St. Petersburg:18–101.Google Scholar
- Annandale, N., 1914. Further notes on the sponges of Lake Baikal. Rec Indian Mus 10:137–148.Google Scholar
- Dybowski, W., 1882. Studien über die Spongien des Russischen Reiches. Mem Acad Imp Sci St. Petersburg 7(16):61–71.Google Scholar
- Efremova, S. M., 2001. Sponges (Porifera). In: Timoshkin, O. A. (ed.) Index of animal species inhabiting Lake Baikal and its catchment area, vol. I, Lake Baikal, Book 1. Nauka, Novosibirsk, pp. 182–192 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Efremova, S. M., 2004. New genus and new species of sponges from family Lubomirskiidae Rezvoj, 1936. In: Timoshkin, O. A. (ed.) Index of animal species inhabiting Lake Baikal and its catchment area. vol. I. Lake Baikal, Book 2. Nauka, Novosibirsk, pp. 1261–1278 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Masuda, Y. , Itskovich, V. B., Veinberg E. V. and Efremova, S. M., 1999. Perspective studies of freshwater sponges in Lake Baikal. Berliner geowiss. Abh. E30:329–332.Google Scholar
- Penney, J. T. and Racek, A. A., 1968. Comprehensive revision of worldwide collection of freshwater sponges (Porifera: Spongillidae) United States Nat Mus Bull 272:1–184.Google Scholar
- Rezvoj, P. D., 1936. Freshwater sponges of the USSR. In: The fana of the USSR2 (2):1–42 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Swartschewski, B., 1902. Materials on the sponge fauna of Lake Baikal. Mem Soc Natur Kiew 17:329–352 (in Russian).Google Scholar