Intuitionistic Fuzzy Clustering with Applications in Computer Vision
Intuitionistic fuzzy sets are generalized fuzzy sets whose elements are characterized by a membership, as well as a non-membership value. The membership value indicates the degree of belongingness, whereas the non-membership value indicates the degree of non-belongingness of an element to that set. The utility of intuitionistic fuzzy sets theory in computer vision is increasingly becoming apparent, especially as a means to coping with noise. In this paper, we investigate the issue of clustering intuitionistic fuzzy image representations. To achieve that we propose a clustering approach based on the fuzzy c-means algorithm utilizing a novel similarity metric defined over intuitionistic fuzzy sets. The performance of the proposed algorithm is evaluated for object clustering in the presence of noise and image segmentation. The results indicate that clustering intuitionistic fuzzy image representations can be more effective, noise tolerant and efficient as compared with the conventional fuzzy c-means clustering of both crisp and fuzzy image representations.
KeywordsImage Segmentation Object Cluster Intuitionistic Fuzzy Information Fuzzy Image Hellenic World
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Yong, Y., Chongxun, Z., Pan, L.: A Novel Fuzzy C-Means Clustering Algorithm for Image Thresholding. Measurement Science Review 4(1), 11–19 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Karayannis, N.B.: Generalized Fuzzy C-Means Algorithms. Journal of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems 8, 63–81 (2000)Google Scholar
- 13.Atanassov, K.T.: Intuitionistic Fuzzy Sets: Theory and Applications. Studies in Fuzziness and Soft Computing 35 (1999)Google Scholar
- 14.Vlachos, I.K., Sergiadis, G.D.: Towards Intuitionistic Fuzzy Image Processing. In: Proc. Int. Conf. on Computational Intelligence for Modelling, Control and Automation and International Conference on Intelligent Agents, Web Technologies and Internet Commerce, vol. 1, pp. 2–7 (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.Vlachos, I.K., Sergiadis, D.G.: Hesitancy Histogram Equalization. In: Proc. IEEE Conf. on Fuzzy Systems, pp. 1–6 (2007)Google Scholar
- 22.Nene, S.A., Nayar, S.K., Murase, H.: Columbia Object Image Library (COIL-20). TR CUCS-005-96, Dept. Comp. Sc., Columbia University (1996)Google Scholar
- 23.FHW, Foundation of the Hellenic World, http://www.fhw.gr/index_en.html