A Multi-measure Nearest Neighbor Algorithm for Time Series Classification
In this paper, we have evaluated some techniques for the time series classification problem. Many distance measures have been proposed as an alternative to the Euclidean Distance in the Nearest Neighbor Classifier. To verify the assumption that the combination of various similarity measures may produce a more accurate classifier, we have proposed an algorithm to combine several measures based on weights. We have carried out a set of experiments to verify the hypothesis that the new algorithm is better than the classical ones. Our results show an improvement over the well-established Nearest-Neighbor with DTW (Dynamic Time Warping), but in general, they were obtained combining few measures in each problem used in the experimental evaluation.
KeywordsData Mining Machine Learning Time Series Classification Multi-Measure Classifier
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Antunes, C.M., Oliveira, A.L.: Temporal Data Mining: An Overview. In: Proceedings of the Workshop on Temporal Data Mining, San Francisco, EUA. Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD 2001) (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Savary, L.: Notion of Similarity in (Spatio-)Temporal Data Mining. In: ECAI 2002 Workshop on Knowledge Discovery from (Spatio-)Temporal Data, pp. 63–71 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Agrawal, R., Lin, K.I., Sawhney, H.S., Shim, K.: Fast Similarity Search in the Presence of Noise, Scaling, and Translation in Time-Series Databases. In: Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, pp. 490–501 (1995)Google Scholar
- 13.Agrawal, R., Faloutsos, C., Swami, A.: Efficient Similarity Search in Sequence Databases. In: Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Foundations of Data Organization and Algorithms, pp. 69–84 (1993)Google Scholar
- 14.Daubechies, I.: Ten Lectures on Wavelets. In: CBMS-NSF Reg. Conf. Series in Applied Math. SIAM, Philadelphia (1992)Google Scholar
- 15.Kohavi, R., Langley, P., Yun, Y.: The Utility of Feature Weighting in Nearest-Neighbor Algorithms. In: 9th European Conference on Machine Learning, Prague, Czech Republic. Springer, Heidelberg (1997)Google Scholar
- 17.Demšar, J.: Statistical Comparisons of Classifiers over Multiple Data Sets. Journal of Machine Learning Research 7(1), 1–30 (2006)Google Scholar
- 19.Keogh, E., Xi, X., Wei, L., Ratanamahatana, C.A.: The UCR Time Series Classification/Clustering (2006), http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~eamonn/time_series_data