Combining OpenEHR Archetype Definitions with SWRL Rules – A Translation Approach
The interoperability of electronic healthcare information systems is critical for a more effective healthcare management. Several specifications and standards have been created for facilitating such interoperability at different levels. Among them, the OpenEHR initiative emphasizes the sharing of flexible specifications of healthcare information pieces in the form of archetypes. However, the OpenEHR ADL language does not provide support for rules and inference which are important pieces of clinical knowledge. This paper reports on an approach to convert ADL definitions to OWL and then attach rules to the semantic version of the archetypes. This allows for an automated means to reuse knowledge expressed in the form of rules which is also flexible and follows the same philosophy of sharing archetypes.
KeywordsElectronic healthcare records clinical archetypes ontologies OWL SWRL
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bicer, V., Kilic, O., Dogac, A., Laleci, G.B.: Archetype-Based Semantic Interoperability of Web Service Messages in the Health Care Domain. Journal on Semantic Web & Information Systems 1(4), 1–23 (2005)Google Scholar
- Elstein, A.S., Shulman, L.S., Sprafka, S.A.: Medical problem solving: an analysis of clinical reasoning. Harvard University Press, Cambridge (1987)Google Scholar
- Golbreich, C., Dameron, O., Gibaud, B., Burgun, A.: Web ontology language requirements w.r.t expressiveness of taxonomy and axioms in medicine. In: Fensel, D., Sycara, K.P., Mylopoulos, J. (eds.) ISWC 2003. LNCS, vol. 2870, pp. 180–194. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)Google Scholar
- Knublauch, H.: User-defined datatypes in protégé-owl (retrieved) (2005) (June 20, 2008), http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/owl/xsp.html
- Mei, J., Bontas, E.P.: Reasoning Paradigms for SWRL-Enabled Ontologies. In: Protégé With Rules Workshop: 8th International Protégé Conference, Madrid, Spain (2005)Google Scholar
- O’Connor, M., Knublauch, H., Tu, S., Grosof, B., Dean, M., Grosso, W., Musen, M.: Supporting Rule System Interoperability on the Semantic Web with SWRL. In: Proceedings of the 4th International semantic web conference, Galway, Ireland, November 6. Springer, Berlin (2005)Google Scholar
- Qamar, R., Rector, A.: Semantic Issues in Integrating Data from Different Models to Achieve Data Interoperability. In: Kuhn, K., et al. (eds.) Proceedings of MedInfo 2007, pp. 674–678. IOS publishing (2007)Google Scholar