During the last years, many speed-up techniques for Dijkstra’s algorithm have been developed. As a result, computing a shortest path in a static road network is a matter of microseconds. However, only few of those techniques work in time-dependent networks. Unfortunately, such networks appear frequentely in reality: Roads are predictably congestured by traffic jams, and efficient timetable information systems rely on time-dependent networks. Hence, a fast technique for routing in such networks is needed. In this work, we present an exact time-dependent speed-up technique based on our recent SHARC-algorithm. As a result, we are able to efficiently compute shortest paths in time-dependent continental-sized transportation networks, both of roads and of railways.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Schultes, D.: Route Planning in Road Networks. PhD thesis, Uni. Karlsruhe (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Cooke, K., Halsey, E.: The Shortest Route Through a Network with Time-Dependent Intermodal Transit Times. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, 493–498 (1966)Google Scholar
- 10.Goldberg, A.V., Harrelson, C.: Computing the Shortest Path: A* Search Meets Graph Theory. In: 16th Annual ACM–SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA), pp. 156–165 (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Bauer, R., Delling, D.: SHARC: Fast and Robust Unidirectional Routing. In: 10th Workshop on Algorithm Engineering and Experiments (ALENEX), pp. 13–26 (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.Hilger, M., Köhler, E., Möhring, R.H., Schilling, H.: Fast Point-to-Point Shortest Path Computations with Arc-Flags. In: 9th DIMACS Implementation Challenge - Shortest Paths (2006)Google Scholar
- 15.Dean, B.C.: Continuous-Time Dynamic Shortest Path Algorithms. Master’s thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1999)Google Scholar
- 16.Pellegrini, F.: SCOTCH: Static Mapping, Graph, Mesh and Hypergraph Partitioning, and Parallel and Sequential Sparse Matrix Ordering Package (2007)Google Scholar
- 18.Delling, D., Sanders, P., Schultes, D., Wagner, D.: Highway Hierarchies Star. In: 9th DIMACS Implementation Challenge - Shortest Paths (2006)Google Scholar