A Local-Search 2-Approximation for 2-Correlation-Clustering
CorrelationClustering is now an established problem in the algorithms and constrained clustering communities. With the requirement that at most two clusters be formed, the minimisation problem is related to the study of signed graphs in the social psychology community, and has applications in statistical mechanics and biological networks.
Although a PTAS exists for this problem, its running time is impractical. We therefore introduce a number of new algorithms for 2CC, including two that incorporate some notion of local search. In particular, we show that the algorithm we call PASTA-toss is a 2-approximation on complete graphs.
Experiments confirm the strong performance of the local search approaches, even on non-complete graphs, with running time significantly lower than rival approaches.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Giotis, I., Guruswami, V.: Correlation clustering with a fixed number of clusters. In: Proceedings of the 17th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, pp. 1167–1176 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Ailon, N., Charikar, M., Newman, A.: Aggregating inconsistent information: Ranking and clustering. In: Proceedings of the 37th annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pp. 684–693 (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Huffner, F., Betzler, N., Niedermeier, R.: Optimal edge deletions for signed graph balancing. In: Proceedings of the 6th Workshop on Experimental Algorithms, pp. 297–310 (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Arya, V., Garg, N., Khandekar, R., Meyerson, A., Munagala, K., Pandit, V.: Local search heuristics for k-median and facility location problems. SIAM Journal on Computing 33(3), 544–562Google Scholar
- 12.Coleman, T., Saunderson, J., Wirth, A.: Spectral clustering with inconsistent advice. In: Proceedings of the 25th Annual International Conference on Machine Learning, pp. 152–159 (2008)Google Scholar