Accuracy and Efficiency in Simulating VANETs
The evaluation of new communication protocols for Vehicular Ad-hoc Networks (VANETs) is a hot topic in research. An efficient design and actual deployment of such software tools is crucial for any VANET. The design phase is difficult and often relies on computer simulation. The later evaluation of protocols in real VANETs is complex due to many difficulties concerning the availability of resources, accurate performance analysis, and reproducible results. Simulation is the most widely solution to make a good design but it presents also an important challenge: the fidelity of the simulation compared to the real results. In this article we measure the differences between the simulation versus the real results with actual moving cars in order to quantify the accuracy of the VANET simulations inside the European CARLINK Project. After a thorough revision of the state of the art, we here go for an analysis of JANE and VanetMobiSim/ns-2, two simulation frameworks. Later, we have defined the scenario where both, simulations and real tests, will be carried out. Our results show that JANE is more appropriate for simulating applications, while ns-2 is more accurate in dealing with the underlying mobile communication network.
KeywordsCARLINK IEEE 802.11b Simulation VANETs JANE VanetMobiSim/ns-2
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fiore, M., Haerri, F.F., Bonnet, C.: Understanding vehicular mobility in network simulation. In: MoVeNet 2007. 1st IEEE international Workshop on Mobile Vehicular Networks, October (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Härri, J., Filali, F., Bonnet, C.: Mobility Models for Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks: A Survey and Taxonomy. Technical report, Institut Eurécom (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Härri, J., Filali, F., Bonnet, C., Fiore, M.: VanetMobiSim: Generating Realistic Mobility Patterns for VANETs. In: VANET: 2006: Proceedings of the 3rd international workshop on Vehicular ad-hoc networks, Institut Eurécom, France, pp. 96–97. ACM Press, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Gorgen, D., Frey, H., Hiedels, C.: JANE-The Java Ad Hoc Network Development Environment. In: 40th Annual Simulation Symposium (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.CARLINK: UMA.: D2006/6-Evaluating VANET Simulators for CARLINK Primary Applications. Technical report, University of Málaga (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.CARLINK: UMA.: D2006/10-VDTP: A File Transfer Protocol for Vehicular Ad hoc Network. Technical report, University of Málaga (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.CARLINK: UMA.: D1.3.2-VanetMobiSim/Ns-2: A VANET simulator for CARLINK. Technical report, University of Málaga (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.The Network Simulator, http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns
- 9.CANU Project, http://canu.informatic.uni-stuttgart.de
- 10.CARLINK Consortium.: Definition of Scenarios. Technical report (2007)Google Scholar