A Tool for Optimizing Runtime Parameters of Open MPI
Clustered computing environments, although becoming the predominant high-performance computing platform of choice, continue to grow in complexity. It is relatively easy to achieve good performance with real-world MPI applications on such platforms, but obtaining the best possible MPI performance is still an extremely difficult task, requiring painstaking tuning of all levels of the hardware and software in the system. The Open Tool for Parameter Optimization (OTPO) is a new framework designed to aid in the optimization of one of the key software layers in high performance computing: Open MPI. OTPO systematically tests large numbers of combinations of Open MPI’s run-time tunable parameters for common communication patterns and performance metrics to determine the “best” set for a given platform. This paper presents the concept, some implementation details and the current status of the tool, as well as an example optimizing InfiniBand message passing latency by Open MPI.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Gabriel, E., Fagg, G.E., Bosilca, G., Angskun, T., Dongarra, J.J., Squyres, J.M., Sahay, V., Kambadur, P., Barrett, B., Lumsdaine, A., Castain, R.H., Daniel, D.J., Graham, R.L., Woodall, T.S.: Open MPI: Goals, Concept, and Design of a Next Generation MPI Implementation. In: Proceedings, 11th European PVM/MPI Users’ Group Meeting, Budapest, Hungary, September 2004, pp. 97–104 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Gabriel, E., Huang, S.: Runtime optimization of application level communication patterns. In: 12th International Workshop on High-Level Parallel Programming Models and Supportive Environments, Long Beach, CA, USA (March 2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Intel MPI Benchmark, http://www.intel.com/cd/software/products/asmo-na/eng/219848.htm
- 6.Message Passing Interface Forum. MPI: A Message Passing Interface Standard (June 1995), http://www.mpi-forum.org/
- 7.Message Passing Interface Forum. MPI-2: Extensions to the Message Passing Interface (July 1997), http://www.mpi-forum.org/
- 10.TOP 500 webpage (2007), http://www.top500.org/
- 11.Turner, D., Chen, X.: Protocol-dependent message-passing performance on linux clusters. In: Cluster Computing, 2002. Proceedings. 2002 IEEE International Conference on Linux Clusters, pp. 187–194. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Whaley, R.C., Petite, A.: Minimizing development and maintenance costs in supporting persistently optimized blas. Software: Practice and Experience 35(2), 101–121 (2005)Google Scholar