HK Segmentation of 3D Micro-structures Reconstructed from Focus
This paper presents an evaluation of HK segmentation on 3D micro-structures reconstructed from focus. Due to the necessity of 3D shape and surface structure information for a precise micromanipulation, shape of the object is recovered using shape from focus (SFF). In the SFF procedure, using an image sequence, composed of images captured at different focusing levels, focused image of the micro-structure and its shape are acquired. Then the resulting shape, also called range image, is used in HK segmentation method to extract surface curvature information. Experimental results show that this technique works for both synthetic and real data.
KeywordsHK Segmentation 3D Micro-structures Image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Nayar, S.K., Nakagawa, Y.: Shape from focus: An Effective Approach for Rough Surfaces. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Robotics Automation, pp. 218–225 (1990)Google Scholar
- 5.Helmli, F.S., Scherer, S.: Adaptive Shape from Focus with an Error Estimation in Light Microscopy. In: Second International Symposium on Image and Signal Processing and Analysis, pp. 188–193 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Trucco, E., Verri, A.: Introductory Techniques for 3-D Computer Vision. Prentice Hall, New Jersey (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Cantzler, H., Fisher, R.B.: Comparison of HK and SC Curvature Description Methods. In: Proceedings of Third International Conference on 3-D Digital Imaging and Modeling, pp. 285–291 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Moreno, A.B., Sanchez, A., Velez, J.F., Diaz, F.J.: Face Recognition using 3D Surface-Extracted Descriptors. In: Proceedings of Irish Machine Vision and Image Processing Conference (2003)Google Scholar