Computational Pathology Analysis of Tissue Microarrays Predicts Survival of Renal Clear Cell Carcinoma Patients
Renal cell carcinoma (RCC) can be diagnosed by histological tissue analysis where exact counts of cancerous cell nuclei are required. We propose a completely automated image analysis pipeline to predict the survival of RCC patients based on the analysis of immunohistochemical staining of MIB-1 on tissue microarrays. A random forest classifier detects cell nuclei of cancerous cells and predicts their staining. The classifier training is achieved by expert annotations of 2300 nuclei gathered from tissues of 9 different RCC patients. The application to a test set of 133 patients clearly demonstrates that our computational pathology analysis matches the prognostic performance of expert pathologists.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Yang, L., Chen, W., Meer, P., Salaru, G., Feldman, M.D., Foran, D.J.: High throughput analysis of breast cancer specimens on the grid. Med. Image Comput. 10 (Pt 1), 617–625 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Rabinovich, A., Agarwal, S., Laris, C.A., Price, J., Belongie, S.: Unsupervised color decomposition of histologically stained tissue samplesGoogle Scholar
- 5.Hall, B., Chen, W., Reiss, M., Foran, D.J.: A clinically motivated 2-fold framework for quantifying and classifying immunohistochemically stained specimens, pp. 287–294 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Viola, P., Jones, M.: Rapid object detection using a boosted cascade of simple features (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Hadid, A., Pietikainen, M., Ahonen, T.: A discriminative feature space for detecting and recognizing faces. In: CVPR 2004, June 27– July 2, 2004, vol. 2, II–797–II–804 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Breiman, L.: Random forests (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Freund, Y., Schapire, R.: Experiments with a new boosting algorithm. In: Machine Learning: Proceedings of the Thirteenth International Conference, pp. 148–156 (1996)Google Scholar
- 11.Bosch, A., Zisserman, A., Munoz, X.: Image classification using random forests and ferns. In: ICCV 2007, October 14-21, 2007, pp. 1–8 (2007)Google Scholar