A Fault Diagnosis Approach for Rolling Bearings Based on EMD Method and Eigenvector Algorithm
Fault diagnosis of rolling bearings is still a very important and difficult research task on engineering. After analyzing the shortcomings of current bearing fault diagnosis technologies, a new approach based on Empirical Mode Decomposition (EMD) and blind equalization eigenvector algorithm (EVA) for rolling bearings fault diagnosis is proposed. In this approach, the characteristic high-frequency signal with amplitude and channel modulation of a rolling bearing with local damage is first separated from the mechanical vibration signal as an Intrinsic Mode Function (IMF) by using EMD, then the source impact vibration signal yielded by local damage is extracted by means of a EVA model and algorithm. Finally, the presented approach is used to analyze an impacting experiment and two real signals collected from rolling bearings with outer race damage or inner race damage. The results show that the EMD and EVA based approach can effectively detect rolling bearing fault.
KeywordsEmpirical Mode Decomposition Eigenvector Algorithm Source Impact Rolling Bearing Fault Diagnosis
- 1.Brown, D.N.: Envelope Analysis Detects Bearing Faults before Major Damage Occurs. Pulp. and Paper 63, 113–117 (1989)Google Scholar
- 2.Radcliff, G.A.: Condition Monitoring of Rolling Element Bearings Using the Enveloping Technique. Machine Condition Monitoring 23, 55–67 (1990)Google Scholar
- 4.Yonggang, X., Zhengjia, H., Taiyong, W.: Envelope Demodulation Method Based on Empirical Mode Decomposition with Application. Journal of Xian Jiaotong University 38, 1169–1172 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Qiang, G., Xiaoshan, D., Hong, F.: An Empirical Mode Decomposition Based Method for Rolling Bearing Fault Diagnosis. Journal of Vibration Engineering 20, 15–18 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Yong, L., You-rong, L., Zhi-gang, W.: Research on a Extraction Method for Weak Fault Signal and Its Application. Journal of Vibration Engineering 20, 24–28 (2007)Google Scholar