Clustered Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH Model
The time-varying correlations between multivariate financial time series have been intensively studied. For example DCC and Block-DCC models have been proposed. In this paper, we present a novel Clustered DCC model which extends the previous models by incorporating clustering techniques. Instead of using the same parameters for all time series, a cluster structure is produced based on the autocorrelations of standardized residuals, in which clustered entries sharing the same dynamics. We compare and investigate different clustering methods using synthetic data. To verify the effectiveness of the whole proposed model, we conduct experiments on a set of Hong Kong stock daily returns, and the results outperform the original DCC GARCH model as well as Block-DCC model.
Keywordsmultivariate time series analysis GARCH DCC
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bauwens, L., Rombouts, J.: Bayesian clustering of many GARCH models. Econometric Reviews Special Issue Bayesian Dynamic Econometrics (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Billio, M., Caporin, M., Gobbo, M.: Block Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH models. Greta Working Paper (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Billio, M., Caporin, M.: A Generalized Dynamic Conditional Correlation Model for Portfolio Risk Evaluation. Working Paper of the Department of Economics of the Ca’ Foscari University of Venice (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Engle, R.F., Sheppard, K.: Theoretical and Empirical properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH. Working paper, University of California, San Diego, CA (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Fa, J., Wang, M., Yao, Q.: Modeling Multivariate Volatilities via Conditionally Uncorrelated Components. Working Paper,Department of Statistics,London School of Economics and Political Science (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Serban, M., Brockwell, A., Lehoczky, J., Srivastava, S.: Modeling the Dynamic Dependence Structure in Multivariate Financial Time Series. Journal of Time Series Analysis (2006)Google Scholar
- 16.Vargas, G.A.: An Asymmetric Block Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH Model. Philippines Statistician (2006)Google Scholar