Combining Wikipedia and Newswire Texts for Question Answering in Spanish
This paper describes the adaptations of the MIRACLE group QA system in order to participate in the Spanish monolingual question answering task at QA@CLEF 2007. A system, initially developed for the EFE collection, was reused for Wikipedia. Answers from both collections were combined using temporal information extracted from questions and collections. Reusing the EFE subsystem has proven not feasible, and questions with answers only in Wikipedia have obtained low accuracy. Besides, a co-reference module based on heuristics was introduced for processing topic-related questions. This module achieves good coverage in different situations but it is hindered by the moderate accuracy of the base system and the chaining of incorrect answers.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cassan, A., Figueira, H., Martins, A., Mendes, A., Mendes, P., Pinto, C., Vidal, D.: Priberam’s question answering system in a cross-language environment. In: Evaluation of Multilingual and Multi-modal Information Retrieval, pp. 300–309 (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Chu-Carroll, J., Prager, J.M., Welty, C.A., Czuba, K., Ferrucci, D.A.: A Multi-Strategy and Multi-Source Approach to Question Answering. In: TREC (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.de Pablo-Sánchez, C., González-Ledesma, A., Moreno-Sandoval, A., Vicente-Díez, M.: MIRACLE experiments in QA@CLEF 2006 in Spanish: main task, real-time QA and exploratory QA using Wikipedia (WiQA) (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Giampiccolo, D., et al.: Overview of the CLEF 2007 Multilingual Question Answering Track (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Juárez-González, A., Téllez-Valero, A., Denicia-Carral, C., Montes-y-Gómez, M.: Using machine learning and text mining in question answering. In: Peters, C., Clough, P., Gey, F.C., Karlgren, J., Magnini, B., Oard, D.W., de Rijke, M., Stempfhuber, M. (eds.) CLEF 2006. LNCS, vol. 4730, pp. 415–423. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar