The University of Amsterdam’s Question Answering System at QA@CLEF 2007
We describe a new version of our question answering system, which was applied to the questions of the 2007 CLEF Question Answering Dutch monolingual task. This year, we made three major modifications to the system: (1) we added the contents of Wikipedia to the document collection and the answer tables; (2) we completely rewrote the module interface code in Java; and (3) we included a new table stream which returned answer candidates based on information which was learned from question-answer pairs. Unfortunately, the changes did not lead to improved performance. Unsolved technical problems at the time of the deadline have led to missing justifications for a large number of answers in our submission. Our single run obtained an accuracy of only 8% with an additional 12% of unsupported answers (compared to 21% in the last year’s task).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Daelemans, W., Zavrel, J., van der Sloot, K., van den Bosch, A.: TiMBL: Tilburg Memory Based Learner, version 5.1, Reference Guide. University of Tilburg, ILK Technical Report ILK-0402 (2004), http://ilk.uvt.nl/
- 2.Jijkoun, V., Mishne, G., de Rijke, M.: Building infrastructure for Dutch question answering. In: Proceedings DIR 2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Jijkoun, V., de Rijke, M.: Retrieving answers from frequently asked questions pages on the web. In: Proceedings of the Fourteenth ACM conference on Information and knowledge management (CIKM 2005). ACM Press, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Jijkoun, V., van Rantwijk, J., Ahn, D., Sang, E.T.K., de Rijke, M.: The University of Amsterdam at QA@CLEF 2006. In: Peters, C., Clough, P., Gey, F.C., Karlgren, J., Magnini, B., Oard, D.W., de Rijke, M., Stempfhuber, M. (eds.) CLEF 2006. LNCS, vol. 4730. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Khalid, M.A., Jijkoun, V., de Rijke, M.: Machine learning for question answering from tabular data. In: FlexDBIST 2007 Second International Workshop on Flexible Database and Information Systems Technology (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.van Noord, G.: At last parsing is now operational. In: Proceedings of TALN 2006, Leuven, Belgium (2006)Google Scholar