Escaping a Dominance Region at Minimum Cost
Skyline queries have gained attention as an effective way to identify desirable objects that are “not dominated” by another object in the dataset. From market perspective, such objects can be viewed as marketable, as each of such objects has at least one competitive edge against all the other objects, or not dominated. In other words, non-skyline objects are not marketable, as there always exists another product excelling in all the attributes. The goal of this paper is, for such non-skyline objects, to identify the cost-minimal enhancement to become a skyline point to gain marketability. More specifically, we abstract this problem as a mixed integer programming problem and develop a novel algorithm for efficiently identifying the optimal solution. Through extensive experiments using synthetic datasets, we show that our proposed framework is both efficient and scalable over extensive experiment settings.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bentley, J.L., Kung, H.T., Schkolnick, M., Thompson, C.D.: On the Average Number of Maxima in a Set of Vectors and Applications. Journal of ACM (1978)Google Scholar
- 2.Roussopoulos, N., Kelley, S., Vincent, F.: Nearest Neighbor Queries. In: SIGMOD (1995)Google Scholar
- 3.Börzsönyi, S., Kossmann, D., Stocker, K.: The Skyline Operator. In: ICDE (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Kossman, D., Ramsak, F., Rost, S.: Shooting Stars in the Sky: An Online Algorithm for Skyline Queries. In: VLDB 2002 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Chomicki, J., Godfrey, P., Gryz, J., Liang, D.: Skyline with Presorting. In: ICDE 2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Li, C., Tung, A.K.H., Jin, W., Ester, M.: On Dominanting Your Neighborhood Profitably. In: VLDB 2007 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Miah, M., Das, G., Hristidis, v., Mannila, H.: Standing Out in a Crowd: Selecting Attributes for Maximum Visibility. In: ICDE 2008 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Kim, Y., You, G.-w., Hwang, S.-w.: Escaping a Dominance Region at Minimum Cost. POSTECH TR, http://ids.postech.ac.kr
- 9.Hiller, F.S., Lieberman, G.J.: Introduction to Operations Research. McGraw-Hill, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.ILOG CPLEX 9.0 User’s Manual, http://www.ilog.com/products/cplex