Building an Index of Nanomedical Resources: An Automatic Approach Based on Text Mining
Nanomedicine is an emerging discipline aimed to applying recent developments in nanotechnology to the medical domain. In recent years, there has been an exponential growth of the number of available nanomedical resources. The latter are aimed to different tasks and include databases, nanosensors, implantable materials, etc. This leads to the necessity of creating new methods to automatically organize such resources depending on their provided functionalities. In this paper we will first present a brief overview on the nanomedical discipline and its related technologies. Next we will introduce a method targeted to the automated creation of an index of nanomedical resources. This method is based on an existing approach to automatically build an index of biomedical resources from research papers using text mining techniques. We believe that such an index would be a valuable tool to foster the research on nanomedicine. This is an example of application in the new area of Nanoinformatics.
Keywordsnanomedicine text mining biomedicine nanoinformatics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.National Science and Technology Council.: The national Nanotechnology initiative. Strategic Plan. National Science and Technology Council (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Faynman, R.P.: There’s plenty of room at the bottom. Eng. Sci. 23, 22–36 (1960)Google Scholar
- 4.Jain, K.K.: The handbook of Nanomedicine. Humana Press, Totowa (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Gordon, N., Sagman, U.: Nanomedicine Taxonomy. Canadian Institute of Health Research & Canadian NanoBusiness Alliance (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.European Technology Platform: Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology for Health. European Technology Platform, Brussels (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.García-Remesal, M., Maojo, V., Crespo, J., Billhardt, H.: Logical Schema Acquisition from Text Based Sources for Structured and non-structured Biomedical Sources Integration. In: Proc. AMIA Symp., pp. 259–263 (2007)Google Scholar