Spatial Characteristics of Land Use Patterns in Mugello (Central Italy) and Policy Impacts on Their Environmental Outputs
Scenarios induced land use changes and their effects on abiotic and biotic indicators are analysed for a heterogeneous territory in Northern Tuscany. Results show that under a specific policy scenario the responses are highly variable within a given region depending of the landscape component considered and that scenarios induced changes result in significant modifications of land use patterns. The changes in crop spatial pattern are clearly differentiated in three groups of responses depending upon the scenario settings. The spatially explicit approach adopted proved to be necessary to properly evaluate the impacts of policy scenarios on the environmental services provided by agriculture.
Keywordsland use change ecosystem services nitrogen leaching spatial autocorrelation
This work was carried out as part of the EU funded 6th framework project MEA-Scope (Micro-economic instruments for impact assessment of multifunctional agriculture to implement the Model of European Agriculture, SSPE-CT-2004- 501516). The authors wish to thank all the members in the consortium who contributed to the discussion that helped shape this work.
- Dalgaard T, Kjeldsen C, Hutchings N, Happe K, Osuch A, Damgaard M, Zander P, Piorr A (2007) Multifunctional farming, multifunctional landscapes and rural development. In: Mander Ü, Wiggering H, Helming K (eds) Multifunctional Land Use: Meeting Future Demands for Landscape Goods and Services. Springer, Heidelberg, Berlin, pp 183–193CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Goovaerts P (1997) Geostatistics for Natural Resources Evaluation. Oxford University Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- ISTAT (2002) 5° Censimento generale dell’Agricoltura 2000, http://www.istat.it/censimenti/agricoltura/
- Piorr A, Müller K, Happe K, Uthes S, Sattler C (2007) Agricultural management issues of implementing multifunctionality: commodity and non commodity production in the approach of the MEA-Scope project. In: Mander Ü, Wiggering H, Helming K (eds) Multifunctional Land Use: Meeting Future Demands for Landscape Goods and Services. Springer, Heidelberg, Berlin, pp 167–181CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sattler C, Schuler J, Zander P (2006) Determination of trade-off-functions to analyze the provision of agricultural non-commodities. International Journal of Agricultural Resources, Governance and Ecology 5(2/3): 309–325Google Scholar