Agreeing While Disagreeing, a Best Practice for Business Ontology Development
The agreement is a crucial part of our living together. Important opportunities for sharing resources, integrating systems and collaborating depend on our ability to agree. While we are interested in methods and technologies that support shared agreement, we somehow tend to forget the disagreement; indeed, it is also a part of reality.
In the Semantic Web field, most of research activities investigate ontology agreement and its formalization, rather than the disagreement and the best practices about its extended use.
We claim that the industrial uptake of the Semantic Web is severely limited by the fact that, in the real world, shared agreements are difficult to reach and maintain and that “agreeing while disagreeing” is a common practice. In this paper we illustrate a best practice, which we learned from practical experience, that makes use of an (almost) unexplored potentiality of the Semantic Web to express disagreement, and we describe its use in the e-employment sector.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Berners-Lee, T.: The Fractal Nature of the Web, working draft (1998–2007), http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Fractal.html
- 5.de Bruijn, J., Ehrig, M., Feier, C., Martíns-Recuerda, F., Scharffe, F., Weiten, M.: Ontology Mediation, Merging, and Aligning. In: Semantic Web Technologies: Trends and Research in Ontology-based Systems, pp. 95–113. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., Chichester (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Guarino, N.: Formal ontology and information systems. In: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Formal Ontologies in Information Systems. FOIS 1998, pp. 3–15. IOS Press, Amsterdam (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Nagypál, G.: Ontology development. In: Studer, R., Grimm, S., Abecker, A. (eds.) Semantic Web Services, Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Patel-Schneider, P.F., Horrocks, I., Motik, B.: OWL 1.1 Web Ontology Language: Structural Specification and Functional-Style Syntax. Technical report, W3C (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Boley, H., Kifer, M.: RIF Core Design. Technical report, W3C (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.Gómez-Pérez, A., Fernández-López, M., Corcho, O.: Ontological Engineering. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)Google Scholar
- 15.Kerrigan, M.: D9.1v0.1 Web Service Modeling Toolkit. Technical report, University of Innsbruck (2005)Google Scholar
- 16.2004/387/EC: Decision of the European Parliament and of the Council on Interoperable Delivery of pan-European Services to Public Administrations, 2004 (2004)Google Scholar
- 17.Mocan, A., Cimpian, E.: Mappings creation using a view based approach. In: MEDIATE 2005. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, CEUR-WS.org, vol. 168, pp. 97–112 (2005)Google Scholar