Data and Information Quality Assessment in Information Manufacturing Systems
Organizations are more and more concerned about the increasing data and information quality issues in their information (manufacturing) systems. These issues have caused various organizational problems such as losing customers, missing opportunities and making incorrect decisions. Recognizing these issues, one of the crucial aspects for organizations to sustain business growth and competitive advantage is to be able to assess data and information quality. However limited research has been done to investigate data and information quality assessment in information manufacturing systems. This paper proposes a model to assess the quality of two major information sources in information manufacturing systems: data stored in database and information products delivered to users. The proposed model is applied to an information manufacturing system and an example database. The research findings have shown that the poor quality of data found in example databases is correlated to the quality of information products perceived by users.
KeywordsInformation quality Information manufacturing system Information quality assessment Information quality dimension
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ballou, D.P., Pazer, H.L.: Modeling Data and Process Quality in Multi-input. Multi-output Information Systems. Management Science 31(2), 150–162 (1985)Google Scholar
- 3.Batini, C., Scannapieco, M.: Data Quality, Concepts, Methodologies and Techniques. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Cappiello, C., Francalanci, C., Pernici, B.: Time-Related Factors of Data Quality in Multichannel Information Systems. Journal of Management Information Systems 20(3), 71–91 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Eppler, M., Helfert, M.: A Classification and Analysis of Data Quality Costs, Ninth International Conference on Information Quality, (November 5-7 MIT, 2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Gertz, M., Ozsu, T., Saake, G., Sattler, K.: Report on Dagstuhl Seminar Data Quality on the Web. In: SIGMOD Report, vol. 33(1) (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Oliveira, P., Rodrigues, F., Henriques, P.: A Formal Definition of Data Quality Problems. In: Proceedings of the tenth International Conference on Information Quality, MIT (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.Wang, R.Y., Strong, D.M.: Beyond Accuracy: What Data Quality Means to Data Consumers. Journal of Management Information System. 12(4), 5–34 (1996)Google Scholar
- 18.Wang, R.Y., Lee, Y.W., Ziad, M.: Data Quality. Springer, Heidelberg (2001)Google Scholar