Evaluation of Header Field Entropy for Hash-Based Packet Selection
Network Measurements play an essential role in operating and developing today’s Internet. High data rates and complex measurement demands can origin an immense resource consumption for measurement tasks. Data selection techniques, like sampling and filtering, provide efficient solutions for reducing resource consumption while still maintaining sufficient information about the metrics of interest. Hash-based packet selection allows a synchronized selection of packets at multiple observation points. With this, the tracking of the path of a packet and the calculation of multipoint QoS metrics like one-way delay becomes possible. Nevertheless, hash-based selection is deterministic based on parts of the packet content and hence it is suspect to bias. The packet content used for hashing is a source for bias if the selected content is not variable enough. This paper empirically analyzes which header bytes are most variable and recommendable as input for hash-based selection if one targets the emulation of random selection.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Niccolini, S., Molina, et al.: Design and implementation of a one way delay passive measurement system. In: Network Operations and Management Symposium (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Zseby, T., Zander, S., Carle, G.: Evaluation of building blocks for passive one-way-delay measurements. In: PAM Workshop, Amsterdam, Netherlands (April 2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Active measurement project, http://amp.nlanr.net/
- 6.CAIDA. Skitter, http://www.caida.org/tools/measurments/skitter/
- 7.Papagiannaki, K., Moon, S., et al.: Analysis of measured single-hop delay from an operational back bone network. IEEE Infocom, New York (June 2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Choi, B.Y., Moon, S., et al.: Practical delay monitoring for ISPs. In: ACM Conference on Emerging network experiment and technology. ACM Press, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Henke, C., Schmoll, C., Zseby, T.: Empirical evaluation of hash functions for multipoint measurements. Technical Report TR-2007-11-01 (Available upon request)Google Scholar
- 10.Molina, M., Niccolini, S., Duffield, N.G.: Comparative experimental study of hash functions applied to packet sampling. In: ITC-19 (August 2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Jian, G., Guang, C.: Distributed sampling measurement model in a large-scale high-speed ip networks. Journal of Southeast University, Nanjing, China (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Zseby, T., Molina, M., et al.: Sampling and filtering techniques for IP packet selection. In: IETF Internet Draft (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Bronstein, I.N.: Taschenbuch der Mathematik Teubner, Leipzig (1962)Google Scholar
- 14.Traffic measurement database MOME, http://www.ist-mome.org/