Evaluation of VoIP Quality over WiBro
In this work, we have conducted experiments to evaluate QoS of VoIP applications over the WiBro network. In order to capture the baseline performance of the WiBro network we measure and analyze the characteristics of delay and throughput under stationary and mobile scenarios. Then we evaluate QoS of VoIP applications using the E–Model of ITU–T G.107. Our measurements show that the achievable maximum throughputs are 5.3 Mbps in downlink and 2 Mbps in uplink. VoIP quality is better than or at least as good as toll quality despite user mobility exceeding the protected limit of WiBro mobility support. Using RAS and sector identification information, we show that the handoff is correlated with throughput and quality degradation.
KeywordsMobile Node Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiple Access Mean Opinion Score Correspond Node Mobile Scenario
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Hornero, R., Abasolo, D.E., Jimeno, N., Espino, P.: Applying approximate entropy and central tendency measure to analyze time series generated by schizophrenic patients. In: Proc. of the 25th Annual International Conference of the IEEE, September 2003, pp. 2447–2450 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.ITU–T standard G.107. The e-model, a computational model for use in transmission planning (March 2005)Google Scholar
- 8.ITU–T standard G.711. Pulse code modulation (PCM) of voice frequencies (November 1988)Google Scholar
- 9.ITU–T standard P.800. Methods for subjective determination of transmission quality (August 1996)Google Scholar
- 10.ITU–T standard P.861. Objective quality measurement of telephoneband (300–3400 hz) speech codecs (August 1996)Google Scholar
- 11.ITU–T standard P.862. Perceptual evaluation of speech quality (pesq): An objective method for end-to-end speech quality assessment of narrow-band telephone networks and speech codecs (February 2001)Google Scholar
- 12.Lee, H., Kwon, T., Cho, D.-H., Lim, G., Chang, Y.: Performance analysis of scheduling algorithms for VoIP services in IEEE 802.16e systems. In: Proc. of Vehicular Technology Conference, vol. 3, pp. 1231–1235 (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.TTAS.KO-06.0065R1. WiBro standard phase–I (December 2004)Google Scholar