Algorithms to Locate Errors Using Covering Arrays
In this paper, we define error locating arrays (ELAs), which can be used to locate faulty interactions between parameters or components in a software system. We give constructions of ELAs based on covering arrays. Under certain assumptions on the structure of the faulty interactions, we design and analyse efficient algorithms that locate errors. Under the assumption of known “safe values”, our algorithm performs a number of tests that is polynomial in logk and d, where k is the number of parameters in the system and d is an upper bound on the number of faulty pairwise interactions. For the binary alphabet case, we provide an algorithm that does not require safe values and runs in expected polynomial time in logk whenever d ∈ O(loglogk).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.R.C. Bryce and C.J. Colbourn, A density-based greedy algorithm for higher strength covering arrays, 17 pages, (preprint, July 2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Burr, K., Young, W.: Combinatorial test techniques: Table-based automation, test generation, and code coverage. In: Proc. Intl. Conf. on Soft. Test. Anal. and Rev., October 1998, pp. 503–513. ACM, New York (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.J.N. Cawse, Experimental design for combinatorial and high throughput materials development, GE Global Research Technical Report 29, 769–781 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Colbourn, C.J.: Combinatorial aspects of covering arrays. Le Matematiche (Catania) 58, 121–167 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Colbourn, C.J., McClary, D.W.: Locating and detecting arrays for interaction faults. Journal of Combinatorial Optimization (accepted, April 2007) (to appear)Google Scholar
- 9.Dalal, S.R., Karunanithi, A.J.N., Leaton, J.M.L., Patton, G.C.P., Horowitz, B.M.: In: Model-based testing in practice, In: Proc. Intl. Conf. on Software Engineering (ICSE 1999), pp. 285–294 (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Danziger, P., Mendelsohn, E., Moura, L., Stevens, B.: Covering arrays without forbidden pairs, p. 10 (preparation, 2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Kuhn, D.R., Reilly, M.: An investigation of the applicability of design of experiments to software testing. In: Proc. 27th Annual NASA Goddard/IEEE Software Engineering Workshop, October 2002, pp. 91–95. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2002)Google Scholar
- 14.Martínez, C., Moura, L., Panario, D., Stevens, B.: Locating errors using ELAs, covering arrays and adaptive testing algorithms, p. 35 (in preparation, 2007) (full article version of this extended abstract)Google Scholar
- 22.Williams, A.W., Probert, R.L.: A measure for component interaction test coverage. In: Proc. ACS/IEEE Intl. Conf. Comput. Syst. & Applic., pp. 301–311 (2001)Google Scholar