Use of Temporal Expressions in Web Search
While trying to understand and characterize users’ behavior online, the temporal dimension has received little attention by the research community. This exploratory study uses two collections of web search queries to investigate the use of temporal information needs. Using state-of-the-art information extraction techniques we identify temporal expressions in these queries. We find that temporal expressions are rarely used (1.5% of queries) and, when used, they are related to current and past events. Also, there are specific topics where the use of temporal expressions is more visible.
KeywordsTemporal Expression 27th Annual International Conference 16th International World Wide Information Extraction Technique Monday Night
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bar-Ilan, J.: Access to query logs - an academic researcher’s point of view. In: Query Log Analysis: Social And Technological Challenges Workshop. 16th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2007) (May 2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Beitzel, S.M., Jensen, E.C., Chowdhury, A., Grossman, D., Frieder, O.: Hourly analysis of a very large topically categorized web query log. In: SIGIR 2004: Proceedings of the 27th annual international conference on Research and development in information retrieval, pp. 321–328. ACM Press, New York (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Beitzel, S.M., Jensen, E.C., Frieder, O., Lewis, D.D., Chowdhury, A., Kolcz, A.: Improving automatic query classification via semi-supervised learning. In: ICDM 2005: Proceedings of the Fifth IEEE International Conference on Data Mining, Houston, Texas, USA, November 2005, pp. 42–49 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Ferro, L., Mani, I., Sundheim, B., Wilson, G.: TIDES temporal annotation guidelines (v. 1.0.2). Technical report, The MITRE Corporation, Virginia (June 2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Mani, I., Wilson, G.: Robust temporal processing of news. In: Proceedings of the 38th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL2000), Hong Kong, pp. 69–76 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Pass, G., Chowdhury, A., Torgeson, C.: A picture of search. In: InfoScale 2006: Proceedings of the 1st international conference on Scalable information systems, ACM Press, New York (2006)Google Scholar