Mining Automotive Warranty Claims Data for Effective Root Cause Analysis
We present an application of text analytics in automotive industry and describe a research prototype for extracting named-entities in textual data recorded in automotive warranty claim forms. We describe an application for gaining useful insights about products defect reported to the dealer during the warranty period of vehicles. The prototype is developed for air-conditioning subsystem and consists of two main components: a text tagging and annotation engine a query engine. We present some real world examples with sample output and share our design and implementation experiences.
KeywordsText analytics product warranty data analysis text tagging and annotation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Tan, A.-H.: Text Mining: The state of the art and the challenges. In: Zhong, N., Zhou, L. (eds.) PAKDD 1999. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 1574, pp. 65–70. Springer, Heidelberg (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.McCallum, A.: Information Extraction: Distilling Structured Data from Unstructured Text. Social Computing 3(9), 48–57 (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Cunningham, H., Maynard, D., Bontcheva, K., Tablan, V.: GATE: A Framework and Graphical Development Environment for Robust NLP Tools and Applications. In: Proceedings of the 40th Anniversary Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL 2002), Philadelphia (July 2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhang, L., Pan, Y., Zhang, T.: Focused named entity recognition using machine learning. In: Proceedings of the 27th annual international ACM SIGIR conference on Research and development in information retrieval, pp. 281–288 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Fournier, R., Shovelton, T., Stolle, L.: Walking the automotive industry tightrope: Keeping customer and your brand safe, An Executive strategy report of IBM Global Services published on (April 14, 2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Automotive Warranty Management: Paying the Bill and Solving the Problem by Kevin Prouty, A report on Manufacturing, AMR Research(November 01, 2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Recalls and Product Safety News, U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prerel.html
- 10.The Warranty Process Flow within the Automotive Industry: An Investigation of Automotive Warranty Processes and Issues. Center for Automotive Research (August 2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Warranty Week, The Newsletter for Warranty Management Professionals, http://www.warrantyweek.com/