Topology-Aware Replica Placement in Fault-Tolerant Embedded Networks
- 410 Downloads
Application details uncertain at design time as well as tolerance against permanent resource defects demand flexibility and redundancy. In this context, we present a strategy for placing replicas in embedded point-to-point networks where link as well as node defects may occur at runtime. The proposed strategies for replica placement are based on the partitioning of the network into biconnected components. We are able to distinguish between different replication strategies, i.e., active and passive replication. Our experimental results show that the reliability improvement due to the proposed replica placement strategies is up to 23% compared to a randomized strategy.
KeywordsNetwork Node Computational Load Topology Graph Mapping Edge Active Replication
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adya, A., Bolosky, W.J., Castro, M.: FARSITE: Federate, Available, and Reliable Storage for an Inclomplete Trusted Environment. In: Proceedings of the OSDI (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Cuenca-Acuna, F.M., Martin, R.P., Nguyen, T.D.: Autonomous Replication for High Availability in Unstructured P2P Systems. In: 22nd IEEE International Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Karlsson, M., Karamanolis, C., Mahalingam, M.: A Framework for Evaluating Replica Placement Algorithms. Technical report, HP Labs, HPL-2002-219 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Laprie, J.C.: Dependability: Basic Concepts and Terminology - In English, French, German, and Japanese. Springer, Heidelberg (1992)Google Scholar
- 9.Lian, Q., Chen, W., Zhang, Z.: On the Impact of Replica Placement to the Reliability of Distributed Brick Storage Systems. In: Proceedings of the 25th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS 2005), pp. 187–196. IEEE Computer Society Press, Washington (2005)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Qiu, L., Padmanabhan, V.N., Voelker, G.M.: On the Placement of Web Server Replicas. In: Proc. of the IEEE INFOCOM conference, pp. 1587–1596 (April 2001)Google Scholar
- 12.Szymaniak, M., Pierre, G., van Steen, M.: Latency-Driven Replica Placement. In: Proc. of the Symp. on Applications and the Internet (SAINT 2005) (2005)Google Scholar