Lifetime Maximization in Wireless Sensor Networks by Distributed Binary Search
We consider the problem of determining the transmission power assignment that maximizes the lifetime of a data-gathering wireless sensor network with stationary nodes and static transmission power levels. We present a simple and efficient distributed algorithm for this task that works by establishing the minimum power level at which the network stays connected. The algorithm is based on a binary search over the range of feasible transmission power levels and does not require prior knowledge of network topology. We study the performance of the resulting BSpan protocol by network simulations and compare the number of control messages required by BSpan to two other recently proposed methods, the Distributed Min-Max Tree (DMMT) and Maximum Lifetime Spanner (MLS) algorithms. We find that BSpan outperforms both DMMT and MLS significantly.
KeywordsWireless Sensor Network Span Tree Network Lifetime Reference Node Link Cost
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Cao, Q., Abdelzaher, T., He, T., Stankovic, J.: Towards optimal sleep scheduling in sensor networks for rare-event detection. In: Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Information Processing in Sensor Networks, pp. 20–27. IEEE Press, Piscataway, NJ, USA (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.McCanne, S., Floyd, S., Fall, K., Varadhan, K.: The network simulator ns2 (1995) The VINT project (1995), http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/
- 6.Guo, S., Yang, O.W.W., Leung, V.C.M.: Tree-based distributed multicast algorithms for directional communications and lifetime optimization in wireless ad hoc networks. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking. Article ID 98938, p. 10 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Haanpää, H., Schumacher, A., Thaler, T., Orponen, P.: Distributed computation of maximum lifetime spanning subgraphs in sensor networks. In: Zhang, H., Olariu, S., Cao, J., Johnson, D. (eds.) MSN 2007. LNCS, vol. 4864, Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Ramanathan, R., Hain, R.: Topology control of multihop wireless networks using transmit power adjustment. In: INFOCOM. Proceedings of the Nineteenth Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies, pp. 404–413 (2000)Google Scholar
- 12.Chang, J.H., Tassiulas, L.: Energy conserving routing in wireless ad-hoc networks. In: INFOCOM. Proceedings of the Nineteenth Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies, pp. 22–31 (2000)Google Scholar
- 14.Kohvakka, M., Suhonen, J., Hannikainen, M., Hamalainen, T.D.: Transmission power based path loss metering for wireless sensor networks. In: 17th Annual IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, pp. 1–5 (2006)Google Scholar