The Power of Tokens: Rendezvous and Symmetry Detection for Two Mobile Agents in a Ring
Rendezvous with detection differs from the usual rendezvous problem in that two mobile agents not only accomplish rendezvous whenever this is possible, but can also detect the impossibility of rendezvous (e.g., due to symmetrical initial positions of the agents) in which case they are able to halt. We study the problem of rendezvous with and without detection of two anonymous mobile agents in a synchronous ring. The agents have constant memory and each of them possess one or more tokens which may be left at some nodes of the ring and noticed later. We derive sharp bounds for the case of at most two tokens per agent and also explore trade-offs between the number of tokens available to the agents and the time needed to accomplish rendezvous with detection.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Dobrev, S., Flocchini, P., Prencipe, G., Santoro, N.: Multiple agents rendezvous in a ring in spite of a black hole. In: Papatriantafilou, M., Hunel, P. (eds.) OPODIS 2003. LNCS, vol. 3144, pp. 34–46. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Knuth, D.: The Art of Computer Programming, Fundamental Algorithms, 3rd edn., vol. 1. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Kranakis, E., Krizanc, D.: An algorithmic theory of mobile agents. In: Roddick, J.F., Hornsby, K. (eds.)TGC 2006. LNCS, vol. 4661, Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Kranakis, E., Krizanc, D., Santoro, N., Sawchuk, C.: Mobile agent rendezvous search problem in the ring. In: ICDCS. International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, pp. 592–599 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Sawchuk, C.: Mobile Agent Rendezvous in the Ring. PhD thesis, Carleton University, School of Computer Science, Ottawa, Canada (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Weiss, G.: Multiagent Systems: A Modern Approach to Distributed Artificial Intelligence. Wiley, Chichester (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Yu, X., Yung, M.: Agent rendezvous: A dynamic symmetry-breaking problem. In: Meyer auf der Heide, F., Monien, B. (eds.) ICALP 1996. LNCS, vol. 1099, pp. 610–621. Springer, Heidelberg (1996)Google Scholar