On the Forecast Accuracy of Sports Prediction Markets
Accurate forecasts are essential in many areas such as business and sports forecasting. Prediction markets are a promising approach for forecasting future events and are increasingly used to aggregate information on particular future events of interest such as elections, sports events, and Oscar winners. In this paper, we present the results of an empirical study that compares the forecast accuracy of a prediction market for the FIFA World Cup 2006 to predictions derived from the FIFA world ranking and to a random predictor. We find that prediction markets for the FIFA World Cup outperform predictions based on the FIFA world ranking as well as the random predictor in terms of forecast accuracy.
KeywordsPrediction Markets Forecast Accuracy Sports Forecasting
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Hayek, F.A.v.: The Use of Knowledge in Society. American Economic Review 35(4), 519–530 (1945)Google Scholar
- 7.Plott, C.R., Chen, K.-Y.: Information Aggregation Mechanisms: Concept, Design and Implementation for a Sales Forecasting Problem, California Institute of Technology (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Ortner, G.: Aktienmärkte als Industrielles Vorhersagemodell. Zeitschrift für Betriebswirtschaft (ZfB) - Ergänzungsheft 70, 115–125 (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Forsythe, R., et al.: Anatomy of an Experimental Political Stock Market. American Economic Review 82, 1142–1161 (1992)Google Scholar
- 11.Berg, J.E., et al.: Results from a Dozen Years of Election Futures Markets Research. In: Plott, C., Smith, V.L. (eds.) Handbook of Experimental Economic Results (2001)Google Scholar
- 12.Sunstein, C.R.: Deliberation and Information Markets, in Information Markets: A New Way of Making Decisions. In: Hahn, W., Tetlock, P.C. (eds.) pp. 67–100. AEI-Brookings Press, Washington D.C (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.Lamare, A.: Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX.com) Traders correctly picked 7 out of 8 Top Category Oscar Winners to continue its stellar record, cited (2007) Available from: http://www.hsx.com/about/press/070226.htm
- 14.Pennock, D.M., et al.: The Power of Play: Efficiency and Forecast Accuracy of Web Market Games, in Technical Report, 2000-168. 2001, NEC Research InstituteGoogle Scholar
- 15.Schmidt, C., Werwatz, A.: How well do markets predict the outcome of an event? The Euro 2000 soccer championships experiment, in Discussion Papers on Strategic Interaction. Max Planck Institute for Research into Economic Systems, Jena, Germany (2002)Google Scholar
- 16.Volkland, H.O., Strobel, M.: Surprise, surprise - On the accuracy of the 2002 FIFA Wold Cup prediction markets (2007)Google Scholar
- 17.Spann, M., Skiera, B.: Sports Forecasting: A Comparison of the Forecast Accuracy of Virtual Stock Markets, Betting Odds and Tipsters, Working Paper, University of Passau (2007)Google Scholar